Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Food plot ?

NEOhunter

Hey guys I have a question for you all. I've tried to do a little research but I haven't found any info that seems to help.

My question is this, is there any food plot out there that would be able to be planted say the 1st week of October? That would be good for Late December or January? My mother in law has a soybean field that gets harvested 1st week of October and it doesn't get planted during the winter. I was looking to see if there was something I could do like a throw and grow that would help attract and keep deer around for late bow season.

I would need an annual seed though, so I don't mess up the spring planting that she has done for her.

any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

themedic

OHIO
Not much window for germination but you could try cereal grain rye. It's only 12.50$ a bushel bag at my local co-op.....that's not much for what it could possibly provide. I have planted it the last 3 years with a oat,clover mix and my deer like it. I typically plant early to mid September however.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You're pushing it. I'd go to the farmer and offer him some cash to leave some beans standing. The beans will be more attractive when it really gets cold anyway.

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
I have seen people spread cereal grain seed after the beans lose there leaves so that it can be planted even before the beans are harvested. Germination rate might not be as high but it could be an option with a handheld spreader

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
You're pushing it. I'd go to the farmer and offer him some cash to leave some beans standing. The beans will be more attractive when it really gets cold anyway.

I've seen first hand the power of an uncut bean field during a hard winter.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
yep grains is the key to the success here.

I bet you can oversees brassicas/grains now though, and it woudlnt get in his way. You'd also give the plants time to grow!

themedic

OHIO
yep grains is the key to the success here.

I bet you can oversees brassicas/grains now though, and it woudlnt get in his way. You'd also give the plants time to grow!

Yep. In the last few days I have broadcast about 6 lbs of purple top in the standing beans and corn at my farm. This is the first time I've tried it but at 2$ a pound it's worth a shot. Purple top turnips seed is about as small of seed you'll gind. It should get good enough seed to soil contact with a good rain. Rye will grow on a rock.....spread it and it'll grow

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Yep. Jimbo has a great idea and probably the best for what your wanting to do. Standing beans in the late season is a outstanding food source and draw for deer. Just ask the Drury's.