Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bigslams food plots

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
uploadfromtaptalk1439224846227.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1439224946982.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1439225304575.jpg

Finally got these pics to load in the correct sub forum. The first pic was a clover plot that got a really bad weed issue, so I killed it off, tilled it up, and planted purple top turnips and lightly broadcasted some whitetail institute pure attraction. Second pic is the plot I just made this year. I hauled in 4 yards of fermented cow and horse shit on my Polaris ranger and spread it. I got a soil test on it( it had a pH of 5.9) and followed all the recommendations from whitetail institute. I planted pure attraction there, which is oats, brassicas, and winter peas. The plot actually opens back up after it narrows down but I can't get that pic to load. The third pic is a plot I just cleared out today for a buddy. I used my stihl fs90R trimmer with the 3 blade cutting attachment and it did work fast. I'm going back over there tomorrow and giving it a good dose of glyphosate. I'll let that sit a week then til it up and plant some pure attraction there since I have leftover seed. He's got some health issues and this plot is 75 yards behind his house so I said I'd be glad to do it for him.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I just bought a bag of WI Pure Attraction today. Looking forward to seeing how your plots do. Good work so far!
Can't beat the free shipping on a 26# bag of seed! I sure hope it does good. I was hoping for more rain than what we got today but at least we got some. Now they're not calling for any until next Thursday. Thanks guys, I really enjoy doing this stuff.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Do seeds go bad if they sit in dry soil too long? Cause I planted my new plot over a week ago when they were calling for rain. We only got a few drops and it still hasn't sprouted up in most places. The soil is dry as hell. I'm hoping like hell that we get the rain they are calling for this week.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You'll be fine Chad. The biggest fear I have is with bigger seeds like the oats in Pure Attraction is birds eating them. We are due for rain over the next few days down here, so I'd say you'll get some too.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Ya they are calling for rain here Tuesdays- Wednesday. Hopefully the birds didn't peck too many seeds out of the ground. I've found some turkey feathers in the plot, hopefully they are old and they aren't in there stealing my oats LOL.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
With grass seed it begins to germinate when it gets wet. Doesn't need to be drenched, just kept moist. I would imagine the same goes for most seeds. I worked an area with the bobcat last week. Decided the next day to toss some clover seed down. It wasn't fluffy dirt but not compacted. I back dragged the soil smooth which actually would have compressed it somewhat. Throwing seed the next day we lucked into a light rain. Nothing since then until today. With a light rain and just the morning dew, I have a nice start to more clover. I would think the dew itself might be doing more than you think. The soil when turned also tends to bring up some moisture at times. If there is any shade it will help when combined with the fact it hasn't been scorching hot. Overall, I guess I am just saying: don't get too concerned just yet. Lol

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I was just outside and its raining very light. Better than nothing, hopefully we get a good ground soaking rain, and soon!