Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

metal dectors

Saw a guy out in the water at Myrtle Beach last week with one and a pretty cool digging tool. He would take his time and if he hit something he sure would work at it until he found out what it was which every time ended up in a pouch he was carrying. Watched him dig in 3 places and each time found something.

Other than that I've thought of doing the same thing one day. Have no idea on the equipment tho.

I recommend a detector made by White's. I own two that I have had for nearly 30 years and still work great. They are the 5000D Series 2 models. A good discriminator helps to avoid junk. But, for 9 year olds nothing is junk. A decent non-discriminating detector can be had for around $150 or so. Don't buy Bounty Hunter or Jetco. Get something made by White's, Garrett or another well made piece of equipment.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have a older White that works great. But I switched over to 2 different Tesoro models and both models beat almost everything on the market and priced right with a Lifetime warranty. http://tesoro.com/

Last edited:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
My Dad gave me a brand new one from Radio Shack before he died. I think he paid a few hunder for it, but I'm not sure. I really would like to use it some time. I know he found a really nice solid silver Eagle one time with it. That think was as big as an old hood ornament, which is what he thought it may have been at one time