Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rifle choices: 44 Mag. or 45-70 Govt.?

I currently own a Henry Big Boy (steel frame), in 44 Mag. and plan on using it for coyotes, groundhogs and deer.

However, when I purchased my Henry, I laid eyes on a Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70 Govt...with a 26" octagon barrel. This rifle is long, gorgeous and called my name several times, but I walked out of the store with the Henry. I plan on going back to purchase this Marlin, reload for it and use it for hunting the same critters...coyotes, groundhogs and deer.

My question:
Which one would you prefer to use for hunting the above mentioned animals? ...and Why?

Your experiences and opinions are appreciated.
Bowhunter57

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've used both and neither one will do a better job than the other on deer. The longest I've shot deer was about 60 yds. and all died in a hurry. I always used cast lead bullets in the 44 mag. In 2014 I used the 45-70 with reloaded Hornady ballistic tip bullets at about 50 yds. The buck dropped in his tracks but when I picked up my binocs he was gone but only went 50 yds. with a high double lung hit.
I invited my niece to hunt this year and I'll let her use my Marlin 45-70 and I'll carry the Ruger auto rifle in 44 mag.

Either the 44 mag or 45-70 at proper range will kill a deer better than need be. I would say you need both. LOL

A 444 Marlin has been my first choice, from the beginning. However, since Marlin was purchased in 07, I have yet to see one in a store...anywhere. Having said that, I'm looking into the Marlin 1895 Cowboy with the 26" octagon barrel, in 45-70.

I plan on reloading for the 45-70 and using some 250gr. or 300gr. JHP bullets, which will provide good accuracy with moderate loads, low recoil and decent killing power at hunting distances.

Bowhunter57

Gentlemen,
Thank you, for the informative replies and suggestions. :smiley_bril:

After some extensive research... I'm not purchasing the Marlin 45-70. I'm keeping the Henry and will be using it for the Deer Gun Season, this year. I've talked with several 44 Mag rifle owners and they're all telling me that it is a good deer killing machine.

Having made that decision, I've decided to spend some of my gun money on a Remington Versa Max, for goose hunting. I found it at a price that I couldn't pass up, so it's been ordered and should be here in a couple more days. :smiley_blink:

I was about to spend the rest of my savings on a layout blind and a few goose decoys, when my cousin informed me that Dick's Sporting Goods has a rifle on sale, that I've been waiting and watching, for 2 years. It's a Savage 11-VT, in .243, 24" heavy barrel, detachable box magazine, Accu-trigger and a Bushnell 3x12 scope... a DSG exclusive. I brought it home with me, this afternoon. :smiley_bril: This rifle isn't even on the Savage website. It's been price tagged at $579, but is on sale through the end of tomorrow, the 25th, for $449. This rifle is offered in .223, .22-250, .243 and .308.

Bowhunter57

Gentlemen,
Thank you, for the informative replies and suggestions. :smiley_bril:

After some extensive research... I'm not purchasing the Marlin 45-70. I'm keeping the Henry and will be using it for the Deer Gun Season, this year. I've talked with several 44 Mag rifle owners and they're all telling me that it is a good deer killing machine.

Having made that decision, I've decided to spend some of my gun money on a Remington Versa Max, for goose hunting. I found it at a price that I couldn't pass up, so it's been ordered and should be here in a couple more days. :smiley_blink:

I was about to spend the rest of my savings on a layout blind and a few goose decoys, when my cousin informed me that Dick's Sporting Goods has a rifle on sale, that I've been waiting and watching, for 2 years. It's a Savage 11-VT, in .243, 24" heavy barrel, detachable box magazine, Accu-trigger and a Bushnell 3x12 scope... a DSG exclusive. I brought it home with me, this afternoon. :smiley_bril: This rifle isn't even on the Savage website. It's been price tagged at $579, but is on sale through the end of tomorrow, the 25th, for $449. This rifle is offered in .223, .22-250, .243 and .308.

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Congrats on your purchase BH57. I wish you didn't mention it. That combo in 308 sounds quite tempting. Then again, I have other high powers I can't use in Ohio, why would I need another?