Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer season gear......

ab_bentley

With the advent of the ODNR allowing certain PCR cartridges for use during gun season I thought I needed a new rifle. Now as you know the 450M has been allowed this year and it made sense to me to use it. It shares the same case head as the WinMag or WSM/WSSM cases and the little Remington 7 has been chamber in all of them. Brownells had a sale on M7 actions and I picked one up for a very reasonable price, I then went to Green Mountain and ordered a .458 barrel blank. I called Bansners in Pennsylvania got and a stock, talley for rings, and ebay for new (old) trigger.

Once the action arrived I modified the bolt face from 223 to Magnum and when it arrives I'll install the Sako extractor. Next I turned to the action and pinned the recoil lug, slabbed the side, and again when I get the side bolt stop made I'll install it. The barrel will get installed once the bushings arrive, I'll chamber and thread it, then chop it to 18". The trigger was adjusted to 2lbs and all the creed and take up has been removed. On Monday the bolt goes out for fluting.

The stock as it sits weighs in at 18oz, once I install a recoil pad, paint, and bedding it'll weigh around 24oz. The total rifle should weigh in around 6.25lbs with a Weaver K2.5 scope.

The petiteness of the whole thing isn't going to allow long shooting sessions, but it should prove a pleasure to carry around the woods this year.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You are speaking Greek to me, but I will look forward to updates as you progress! Can't wait to see how this turns out.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good luck with your build. Be sure yo show pictures of the finished rifle and buck taken.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm with Brock. You are way out of my league. There are a lot of guys on here (myself included) who will be looking forward to following along. Maybe I'll learn a thing or two.

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Wish i knew how to do this kind of stuff but since i dont im lost... sounds like it will be interesting to follow tho

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Sounds like you know your stuff!
Hope it goes as planned for you. I will definitely be watching this thread unfold as well.
However, with my lack of knowledge in gun smithing, I just went out and bought me a lever gun. Lol

ab_bentley

The new extractor will be here tomorrow, so I'll be doing that, the bolt will then go out for flutting.

With top end loads my quick load said about 4000lbs of energy will be generated with a 400gr bullet at 2300fps. Now I'm not even going to touch that in a 6lb gun but it would be a neat party trick.

ab_bentley

I haven't forgot about you guys anxiously on your seat edge :). My phone camera took a dump and I'm waiting on it to get fixed. Should be ready tomorrow, then back at it.

Adam

The only question I have is this. Why a 2lb trigger pull on a rifle that only pushes a 400 grain bullet at 2300 fps at the muzzle. I understand the light trigger will help accuracy, especially at long range. But, I'd guess, and it is only a guess, this rifle will be pushing its limit at 200 yards.

ab_bentley

The only question I have is this. Why a 2lb trigger pull on a rifle that only pushes a 400 grain bullet at 2300 fps at the muzzle. I understand the light trigger will help accuracy, especially at long range. But, I'd guess, and it is only a guess, this rifle will be pushing its limit at 200 yards.

200yds is where you're wrong. In a lever gun, yes, but with the 250gr ftx from hornady is a legit 400yds cartridge in a rifle. The drop dead kill zone on a deer is around 8", that a solid 2 MOA. If this rifle shoots 1" @ 100yds then that's half the required diameter to harvest deer. Remember a 45-70 black powder rifle will sling a 400gr cast bullet past 500yds with MOA accuracy.

The trigger pull is set to the weight of all my other rifles. 2lbs is my standard, while others my find is dangerous or likewise too light, it's all I've hunted with for the last 10yrs and to change now would be dangerous.
8Adam

I'm sure the rifle will shoot 1" at 100yds. I was basing my post on a 400 grain bullet that you had mentioned. A 250 grain bullet will make a huge difference in trajectory. The other reason I assumed the heavier bullet was you mentioned topping the gun with a Weaver 2.5X scope. A bit low on magnification for shooting 400 yards IMO.