Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What would you pay?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
For a pre 1950s axe redone with a high quality hickory handle finished with linseed oil? Brands like Collins, Kelly, Bluegrass, Sager, Norlund. Etc. Axes from back when steel was made in America and not recycled, from a time when axes were made with the durability to log a forrest and hold an edge.

The first gas powered saw wasn't invented until 1927, and it was 1952 before they made one capable if being used by "one man". I put "one man" in quotes because the suckers were still 20+ pounds. It really wasn't until the late 60s that chainsaws became popular with logging. Up until then the majority was still don't with a two man buck saw and a trusty axe.

I'm getting off topic. A favorite hobby of mine is finding old axe heads at garage sales, antique stores, or online and bringing them back to life. Sometimes I leave the patina, sometimes I clean them up. Depends on if the butt of the axe head needs grinding to remove a burr from hammering. So I got to thinking. I wonder what a person would pay for such an axe. I've never sold them, just gave them away for the most part. After all, one of the reason I like bringing them back to life is the joy I get from knowing they're still out there chopping. There's something about sinking an axe head three times my age into a piece of wood.

Anyways. What do you reckon a fella would pay for one like below. These aren't mine as for some dumb reason I never take a pic of them. Lol.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438124284.121858.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438124335.312870.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438124360.656063.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438124370.884163.jpg

This is a great thread! Makes me think of my grandpa. He had an assortment of old axes like these that my dad and uncle got after he passed away. I'm no expert and don't know what they are worth. I will probably inherit grandpas some day and don't think I would ever part with them.

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Beautiful axes! For me I wouldn't spend too much unless it was an old Belknap axe (Belknap=my last name). That hardware store was run by my family a long long time ago and I'd love to have some of the stuff they made, it's tough to come by though.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yeah it is something that is hard to price. It is a thin market.

I need a good axe Joe. If you have any laying around let me know how much. I use them for driving wedges only for the most part.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Beautiful axes! For me I wouldn't spend too much unless it was an old Belknap axe (Belknap=my last name). That hardware store was run by my family a long long time ago and I'd love to have some of the stuff they made, it's tough to come by though.

It can be found. The problem is axe heads have a cult collector side to them and the ones you find on ebay etc are usually overpriced IMO. Overpriced is a relative term I guess. They're priced at what people will pay. Good if I ever started selling them, but it doesn't make finding hobby stock easy. I just went and looked and there are only a few available. One single bit for 12 bucks that's in pretty rough shape and you can barely make out the trademark. A double bit for for about 65. And one anniversary edition with a fancy stamp for $800. With the double bit by the time the time alls said and done it would be in the $125 range for materials and labor.

Those collectors make me laugh really. I just imagine some old fart with 400 axe heads falling out of every cabinet. They ain't baseball cards chief. It's an axe. But hell a ome people collect the old wife insulators and pay stupid prices for "special" ones. Personally I just keep an eye out at yard sales and antique stores an pick them up cheap. Typically I only have about 50 bucks in one. I was really wondering what normal sane people would pay for one. Lol. I'll keep an eye out. Also look for ones stamped bluegrass as that was the belknap line.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have no idea but they are really neat.

Yeah I lean towards the older ways. Can't tell you the last time I bucked limbs on a log with a saw. With a quality axe that has a good edge it's like the limbs are made of wax. To me it's easier with an axe. Sure is more peaceful and quiet. If I have the time I prefer to fell it with an axe also. It's more work but man talk about fun. It's fun to drop a tree with a saw, it's 10x more fun when you do it with an axe.

I not real big into collecting vintage axes. I have a granfors Bruks small forest ax and a gb felling ax that sees a lot of use. I do like the Kelly's and sagers but don't own any other than a 1946 sager chemical double bit head. It's in really nice shape and still has most of the finish on it. It is just waiting for the perfect piece of hickory to rehang it on. Axe collecting is really popular in the Pacific Northwest due to the ties to logging. Collins are more or less a dime a dozen. Sagers seem to be the most popular. Some of the rarer brands a dates seen to bring good money too.

hookaroons/pickaroons are pretty interesting and useful tools as well

Last edited:

antiqucycle

East Ohio
You need to hit up the Rogers Flea Market(Fridays), aka West Virginia Mall, "the sale barn", "Machinery Sale"(2nd tTuesday).
on July 3rd this year, they ran out of parking spaces(200 acres) and had traffic backups for miles in most directions.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Well hell Joe. Another thing I would have enjoyed talking about at the event.
I have a good friend that collects anvils. Similar market spectrums where there is a narrow following that does overlap somewhat into other areas of collectables such as cutlery, wood craft or pioneer memorabilia.
Wish I had known. I dug up a old one while playing with my metal detector this spring you might have wanted.

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
It can be found. The problem is axe heads have a cult collector side to them and the ones you find on ebay etc are usually overpriced IMO. Overpriced is a relative term I guess. They're priced at what people will pay. Good if I ever started selling them, but it doesn't make finding hobby stock easy. I just went and looked and there are only a few available. One single bit for 12 bucks that's in pretty rough shape and you can barely make out the trademark. A double bit for for about 65. And one anniversary edition with a fancy stamp for $800. With the double bit by the time the time alls said and done it would be in the $125 range for materials and labor.

Those collectors make me laugh really. I just imagine some old fart with 400 axe heads falling out of every cabinet. They ain't baseball cards chief. It's an axe. But hell a ome people collect the old wife insulators and pay stupid prices for "special" ones. Personally I just keep an eye out at yard sales and antique stores an pick them up cheap. Typically I only have about 50 bucks in one. I was really wondering what normal sane people would pay for one. Lol. I'll keep an eye out. Also look for ones stamped bluegrass as that was the belknap line.

Will have to keep an eye out, would make a great birthday present for my dad.

angelzd28

I not real big into collecting vintage axes. I have a granfors Bruks small forest ax and a gb felling ax that sees a lot of use. I do like the Kelly's and sagers but don't own any other than a 1946 sager chemical double bit head. It's in really nice shape and still has most of the finish on it. It is just waiting for the perfect piece of hickory to rehang it on. Axe collecting is really popular in the Pacific Northwest due to the ties to logging. Collins are more or less a dime a dozen. Sagers seem to be the most popular. Some of the rarer brands a dates seen to bring good money too.

hookaroons/pickaroons are pretty interesting and useful tools as well

I also have granfors Bruks, but mine is the large felling axe, thing is super heavy. They are pretty pricey running around $200. Funny thing is I got mine when I was out in Spokane, WA. Your right when talking about the Pacific Northwest, I could always find people selling axes at the gun shows I went to.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
There is something primal about making little pieces of wood out of big pieces of wood using nothing but muscle and iron or steel.