Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CV boot on a Polaris ranger

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Last week I noticed that my outer CV boot on the passenger side got a big rip in it somehow. Replacements are cheap but I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced one themselves, I saw online where a guy used a funnel to get his on. I'm no master mechanic but I don't want to spend the money for the ridiculous hourly labor charge at the shop.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Do they sell a split boot that has hardware that seals it after its on? I did one like this for a car one time and seemed too work pretty good.... I know it was a car but could they do the same for a quad as well???

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Not sure if they do actually but figured I throw that out just in case they do make it for the quads as well....
I'll look when I get off work, that would be a lot easier. Just not sure how well a setup like that would hold up in off road conditions.

Big Weff

Athens
I just had to replace the outer cv joint on my outlaw 525 because the boot ripped and got some debris in there. To get the boot off I just knocked the outer cv joint off and it should slide right off. I just used a little rubber malot to knock it off then you just have jam it back on when you get your new boot on.

Big Weff

Athens
Also make sure you don't let those ball bearings fall out when you take the joint off and when you are hammering on it to get it off hold firm pressure and don't let your inner joint pop out cause that happened to me and made the whole process a real bitch haha

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Not to sound stupid, but a lot of times there are videos on Youtube - just a thought.
that's how I learned to put fuel lines on a roto tiller....go figure

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks Dan. I watched a couple videos, but a lot of times those guys make it look easy. Nobody has ever taught me how to do this stuff so I have to learn on my own as I go.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
yeah, I understand, I'm in the same boat lots of times with things automotive related. Or boat motor or small motor related.

One thing that helps is taking pictures of things as you take them apart, to help remember how they go back together.
Digital cameras are a godsend.