Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buck Forage Oats

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I am going to plant Buck Forage Oats for this fall. Does anyone have any experience with BFO? Is it too early to plant this week? I may not have another opportunity for a while.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've planted WT Int. Forage Oats for the last 2 years and the deer just hammer it all winter and then come spring as it's the 1st thing to green up in the spring. Planting mine in late August.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They'll be alright but I wouldn't plant them until late August... Even up to the first week of September.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
We tilled just over an acre today. Going to check it in 10 days and spray if needed. Then plant August 10th or so. We have about 2/3 acre of Chicory plus (which is mostly imperial whitetail clover). The deer are hitting it hard already.

If you have half an acre you need one. If you have one acre you need 2. Two you need 4. Never enough. They eat it all.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
We tilled just over an acre today. Going to check it in 10 days and spray if needed. Then plant August 10th or so. We have about 2/3 acre of Chicory plus (which is mostly imperial whitetail clover). The deer are hitting it hard already.

If you have half an acre you need one. If you have one acre you need 2. Two you need 4. Never enough. They eat it all.

I have 3.0 ac beside my hunting woods and it does just fine. But I'm lucky as my adjoining neighbor has 110 ac. of good horse hay next to my food plot.

whitetail_joe

Feed store owner just told me (which I always suspected) that his distributor says that buck forage oats are just winter oats. Winter oats are $25 a bag compared to whatever bfo cost.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Feed store owner just told me (which I always suspected) that his distributor says that buck forage oats are just winter oats. Winter oats are $25 a bag compared to whatever bfo cost.

Not to doubt you store owner idea. But I doubt very much a well know seed company would just repackage regular winter oats and call it something better. Too risky to be caught at for a well known company. IMHO

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Not to doubt you sore owner idea. But I doubt very much a well know seed company would just repackage regular winter oats and call it something better. Too risky to be caught at for a well known company. IMHO
Kinda what I was thinking, frank. You would think that if that was true it would of been revealed years ago.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I've planted BFO and "other " oats . Without a doubt BFO always produced a better plot and deer flat out loved em . With the amount of time a effort that goes into a good plot , spending extra $ on seed doesn't bother me to ensure a healthy and desirable plot .

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm in the same boat here with the lack of rain after planting. I planted 2 weeks ago with a forecast of 4 days of straight rain. We got next to nothing with only a light shower. But this week looks better with 6 out of the next 7 days with 15-30 chance of rain each day.
Probably won't make much difference on my WI Inst Forage Oats I planted as I see a flock of 40 turkeys in the oats plot every day on my time lapse cam.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I had some good rains right after planting and the seeds sprouted good. Nothing for a week though. I'm hoping the dew is heavy enough to help out until we get some weather.

themedic

OHIO
My turnip plots are looking pretty sad. I'll be broadcasting rye, oats and some clover over top them before the next rain. That's typically what I plant for a grains plot.I planted BFO a few years ago, from yalls account I may have to give it another try.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I checked the plots today. The Buck Forage Oats are growing good even without rain but should be called "Doe" Forage Oats. Not one buck in them. The Whitetail Institute Buck Buster Extreme which turns out to be mostly oats is way behind the BFO. The Chicory Plus is growing great other than weeds came in with it. It is also mostly the "Plus"...Imperial Whitetail Clover. It needs brush hogged and will be this week.