Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Damn washing machine

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
When I first got back from 2nd tour of Iraq and got out of the Army I moved to Florida, didn't do so well down there so I moved back up to the Cincinnati area in 2007. I didn't have much money so I had to go through Rent - A - Center for my washer and dryer for my apartment. Well late last week my washing machine went to shit on me. The wife was washing bed sheets and the damn thing got way off balance, walked itself sideways. The outer tub, a big plastic tub, shredded and started leaking water real bad. Ive called about 15-20 different places for a replacement. No-one has it in stock. Its a $200 part that probably weighs about 3-5 lbs. The problem here is it would take about 2-3 weeks on back order just to get it, then an additional $100 for shipping b/c its big. Had to break down and go to Lowes and buy a new washer Wednesday night. Should be delivered on Saturday.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
The never ending struggle! I hate when appliances go bad, I'm not the most handy person when it comes to stuff like that so it is always aggravating.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
You got 7-8 years out of an appliance.
Sadly, it seems that's all they're built for these days - planned obsolescence.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
From what I have read this thing should have lasted 10-14 years. The dryer is still running just fine.

Be married 51 yrs next week. We are on our 3rd washer so your chances are good on 10-14 yrs. We are on our 2nd dryer only because my daughter thought it was unsafe as I had the safety switch on the door hot wired for 38 yrs. She didn't like the idea of my granddaughters being around it that way. I thought it was very simple 'don't put your hand in to a running machine'. I lost.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You got 7-8 years out of an appliance.
Sadly, it seems that's all they're built for these days - planned obsolescence.

Agreed. Pretty sad. My parents had the same machines all through our childhood. Probably on their second or third now. I think I am on my second or third one already. Crap doesn't last like it used to.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I say the same thing every time. Buy LG or Samsung if you can. Their dependability ratings are far better than GE, whirlpool, kenmore etc.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Damn things never go when you can afford them that's for sure....

Aint that the truth. I had to call to up the limit on the Lowes CC this morning. Might have to replace the dryer as well. Had the heating element tested, its fine. They suggested a new fuse. Replaced it, still no heat. I had a burnt wire on the main plug, replaced the end of it hoping that would fix it. Still no heat.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Did you check if the exhaust tube is clogged? I had no heat and the exhaust tube that runs outside was clogged up. Cleaned it out and it worked, had heat once again. ( Not the lint screen ) Just an idea if you have not check it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Is there more than one element? Throwing ideas out there. Riverdude had a good suggestion as well. If for no other reason than safety concerns, that should be cleaned out.