Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Felt Recoil Differences?

I would like to hear from those of you that have shot a straight stocked 45-70 vs. a pistol grip stock 45-70.

* Are there differences in felt recoil, between the two stock styles?

I'm considering the purchase of a Marlin 45-70, but I'm deciding between the 1895 Cowboy with the 26" barrel and the Classic model 1895 with the 22" barrel. I would prefer the Cowboy, as I like the longer octagon barrel and the traditional lines of the straight stock. However, if the recoil is greatly increased due to the stock configuration, I would opt for the Classic 1895 with the 22" barrel.

Your experiences are greatly appreciated, Bowhunter57

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Can't speak to a rifle stock but I've a good bit of experiance with straight stocked shotguns and imho the differences in felt recoil between straight and curved pgs are minimal. However i could see some differences in a lever gun with the lever beating up your hand.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My pistol grip 1895 Marlin 45-70 will just whip the snoot out of you but I never noticed the lever bothering me. I see no difference between a straight or pistol grip in recoil.
Hell you only shoot once while hunting anyway. When shooting for fun about 3 shoots is all I can shoot in a group before my nerves go south and that was 25 yrs. ago.

There isn't any difference between the two if they had equal barrel lengths. the only difference is the lever throw is a little shorter on the pistol grip. The most noticeable difference in recoil will be the 4 inches of barrel length.

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Forgot to mention on the difference in barrel length. Advanced reloaders use the equation that 1" of barrel length relates to about 25 FPS. So a 4" shorter barrel will be about 100 FPS slower give or take couple FPS. Then on the other side of the equation there are fast and slow barrels in the same caliber of a manufacture.
The fast and slow barrels is probably due to the manufacture of the riflings.

Thank you, gentlemen, for the replies! I appreciate the information.

I'm looking very seriously at the 1895 Cowboy with that 26" barrel. I held one about two weeks ago, in a local gun shop and it was all I could do to hand it back

Bowhunter57