Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need advice on long range binoculars

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I need a low priced long range set of binoculars to keep at camp. We can see over a half mile but our 10x50's just don't cut it.
These will be left at our camp most often so size don't matter.
There is not much for professional reviews on binoculars, And I don't want to buy total junk.

Any help is much appreciated.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Low price also brings low quality. For better quality at a lower price look a decent spotting scope and install it on a tri-pod since it stays in camp.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I bought some Vortex 12x50 binoculars. They make things a little bigger, but you lose some light gathering compared to my 8x42 Nikons. If I had a cabin (or if I could view deer from my house) I would probably go the spotting scope route. If reaching out to see a bit further is the goal, I am not sure you will gain much with binoculars. 12x isn't much more than the 10x you have now.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
thanks guys. Never used a spotting scope. The cheapest vortex is 399. Our camper is next to a barn so we have to move around the barn to see behind it. I'm thinking the straight scope would be better to hold without a tripod.
Any other advantages between straight or angled scopes.

Last edited:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
thanks guys. Never used a spotting scope. The cheapest vortex is 399. Our camper is next to a barn so we have to move around the barn to see behind it. I'm thinking the straight scope would be better to hold without a tripod.
If you get much past 12x magnification you will want the tripod because any movement well be noticeable and decrease image quality.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

None that I ever seen as I have used both. But a angled spotting scope seems easier to use as I can be looking down somewhat. As said anything above 12 power is almost useless without a tripod due to involuntary movement. There is such a small field of view with higher power you won't be able to find anything holding it free hand.
Buy the model that has a small low power spotter tube on top of the scope to find the item then just look through the scope for increased power.
Also I would buy a variable power scope so you can use lower power to find the item your looking for then zoom up in power for viewing.
IMHO

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I would recommend going with a spotting scope for long range viewing. The dial in magnification is nice, but buy a quilt optic, or you are really wasting your money. Also, buy a tripod, even if it's a cheap one. I found if I put my 10x Vortex binos on a tripod, I can easily count points and see the details of a deer's rack at 300 yards. There's no way that would happen free-handed, and it will only get tougher the more magnification you use.