Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spin feeders

at1010

*Supporting Member*
anyone have a spin feeder they use and have liked?

Good battery life
Doesn't Jam
Holds good amt of corn

I am putting one in an area I have never tried before. It's way out in a thicket and I want to see how it works. Need the above or it'll be more work than it is worth.

Thank you!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Moultrie Prolock 30 gallon,Digital 6v
Holds 200 lbs.
I have had one out for several yrs with no problems.
Would highly suggest you invest in one of their solar panels to hook up to the battery, i have yet to change the battery in it.

Moultrie Prolock 30 gallon,Digital 6v
Holds 200 lbs.
I have had one out for several yrs with no problems.
Would highly suggest you invest in one of their solar panels to hook up to the battery, i have yet to change the battery in it.

I have a similar set up, works great if the coons aren't climbing on it.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Wow that's impressive! This feeder is back in the woods not sure how much light the solar panel would get.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Just my observation and having spent years on forums. Large in size buck deers prefer gravity fed feeders over spinners. Unless said spinners have been there for years. And they prefer scattered corn over gravity fed. And we all know how skittish they are around bait of any sort.

Mooosie

We have two on my farm the are Moultrie not sure what model bought them on sale at vances about three years ago. They run on two d batteries , my son takes care of them but I believe he gets several months out of the batteries. The deer and Turkeys are not only not afraid of them they sit in cover and wait for them to throw corn and come running.i am happy with them!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just my observation and having spent years on forums. Large in size buck deers prefer gravity fed feeders over spinners. Unless said spinners have been there for years. And they prefer scattered corn over gravity fed. And we all know how skittish they are around bait of any sort.
Spot on Joe, ours is out in field where we dont hunt over it.
Just hunt the trails back in the thicket or woods as the bigger bucks usually hang back till dark to come to them.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Joe I agree. I dont tend to hunt over these sites.

I actually run one large gravity one behind the house. I don't have problem getting mature bucks at it, but I have seen that issue with spin feeders. I really am using these because I am trying to keep the deer coming on my land between the food plots, and bait sites. I just can't keep two gravity style feeders running all the time.

My goal is to dumb about 200lbs under the spin feeder, and let it run on low levels for hunting season. Enough to keep the deer coming in, and seeing whats around.

thank you all for the tips!! Hope that bear is gone, and doesn't break this one!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Thanks for comments. Bought a moultrie. I'll have the boss buck gravity feeder running as well!

Hogmister13

Just a suggestion, I prob wouldn't use Gasoline around any of my feeders, doubt a mature buck would get near a feeder with Gas on it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
After seeing what I saw last yesterday, I'm convinced the right deer will eat from anywhere!

Came home and my wife's thistle feeder was laying 10' away from where it hangs and the decorative hanger I bought for her was bent to a 45 degree anger. It is a heavy duty hanger, so I was thinking WTF?!? Walked over to straighten it back up and look down to see deer tracks in the landscaping. Fuggin' deer were eating cracked corn out of the bag sitting next to my grill no more than 7' from the back door! My guess is it got spooked and turned in to the hanger and knocked the feeder down. Crazy ass deer!