Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking for a decent gunsmith

bearcat

I recently picked up a JC Higgins 101.1 sears, roebuck shotgun.
12 gauge break, 2 3/4 shells.
Barrel is 30 in, overall length is 45 1/2 in.
The gun looks fine, but functionality is iffy.

Id like a gunsmith to take a look at it and separate the butt stock from the receiver and reattach because it is very loose.
I just bought a long flat head screw driver but I can cannot get it to give.

As for the hand guard, it needs new screws and one of the holes is busted so im going to stuff it with tooth picks and wood glue and drill a pilot hole.

The guy said it would be better off as a wall hanger but I think with a little work I can make it a shooter again.

I'am located in North Olmsted.

Thanks,
Bearcat

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sorry to say the value is less than what a gunsmith would charge just to look at. I would sell it for 50.00 and move on.

bearcat

I can agree with it not being worth the cost.
Its just something I want to get up and running.
Im applying some some oil to loosen the screw.

Thanks for the input gents!

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Yeah have fun with it!!! Shoot some liquid wrench down the stock and let it set a little. I have a old winchester 37 single that i got the stock off with i big screw driver like you are doing. Good luck!!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Certain screwdrivers have a flat by the handle that you put a wrench on for added torque too try too break it loose as well.... May have too clamp it too be able too apply the force needed too get it loose....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Certain screwdrivers have a flat by the handle that you put a wrench on for added torque too try too break it loose as well.... May have too clamp it too be able too apply the force needed too get it loose....

Right on. I'm amazed at how many people don't know that. Craftsman doesn't have them but snap-on does. For ones that don't, like craftsman, you can slip a wrench over the handle. I forget the size. Somewhere in the 18-20mm range.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436020053.473397.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Been using that trick for decades, makes it a whole lot easier..... Amazes me more don't know of it..... People see me put a wrench on a screwdriver and say wth you doing lol...... Some craftsman handles you can slip a deep well socket over and use that method as well....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The average guy out there don't even have a wrench let alone know how to use it. I guess we are above average.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The average guy out there don't even have a wrench let alone know how to use it. I guess we are above average.

I like too think so as well Frank..... lol...
There's a whole lot of experience on this site that's for sure.....

I have a 1921 Iver Johnson excel 20 GA that was made for one of the dept stores. My suggestion to you is that you restore the shotgun yourself. Once you get the but stock tang screw out I would suggest you bed the stock mortise with bedding. compound. Just remember to put release agent on all the parts that you don't want permenttly bonded together. I'd all so sand down the whole stock and give it a nice oil finish. If it turns out good you have a shotgun that you can have some pride in because you invested some elbow grease into it. If not you are only out 30 bucks and the cost of shotgun.

One day I'll try to recase harden the receiver on my 20 ga

Last edited:

bearcat

Thanks for all the advice!

Im trying to find my PB blaster but its hiding at the moment.

I have never personally used that method of the wrench on screw driver but I have seen my father do it plenty of times.

But yeah the tang screw is my biggest battle right now.
Iam looking forward to refinishing the wood, I refinished my t53 and was pretty satisfied for a first timer.

bearcat

Will do!
The internals don't look terrible, just need some oil.

There was a washer on the screw, I think I will add more to see if that will help with tightness of receiver to butt stock.

bearcat

Progress report.

I finally got new hardware for the shotgun and put it all together.
All it took to tighten the receiver to buttstock was to add one more washer to the tang screw.

Im thinking of stripping the finish off and applying some new stain.
Its not a collectors piece so I wont feel bad.

Overall im pretty proud, it was a simple fix but I did it.

Im going to test fire it later this month so hopefully it works and it doesnt blow up.