Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2015 Groundhogs

bluedog

End of June and no groundhog thread over here? Really guys you are disappointing me. LOL :D

Whatcha all been up too?

I haven't been able to get out as much as I would like to, but this is my season so far.

One........

Two........

Three.......

Four........

Five, Six, Seven.......

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Nice if you have enough to shoot. I have one in the back yard with a den in the cliff and one young. One in the front yard.
I leave them alone as they haven't done any damage. Seeing a groundhog down here almost gets printed in the newspaper. Not like the old days I'm told.
Hell I've been told of groundhogs being imported from IN.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We do not have ground hogs around here any longer either. My son had never seen one until last summer or the year before, and he just turned 12. He has since seen a few, but I'd bet less than half a dozen. Certainly not enough around to justify shooting them.

bluedog

What are they laying on in that last picture? Nice shooting.

They had built a den in an embankment created when a pond was built long ago and those are the concrete, pipe and rocks that are supporting the embankment where the overflow tile for the pond comes through. If that makes any sense.

There is no shortage of them around here. I see them all up and down the road when driving to work. 5 of these came from my neighbor's farm. I took a walk around there yesterday and spotted two more adults right near where I had shot one earlier in the month and a third adult on the opposite side of a cut hay field. I know where there are some more as well on my place and my neighbor's. A neighbor down the road wants me to come and shoot some down there. I just need time to do it. All the ones I have shot this year at my neighbor's were either digging under the foundations of farm buildings or digging holes in the cow pasture. The two on my place were in the crop fields (well technically one was in the yard but it was right across from where our peas are planted LOL).

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Same here with no hogs around and as much fuging rain that were getting i have a better chance at seeing a beaver lol. Great shooting bluedog!!!

Nice shooting! My spots have been thinned out, and I'm trying to let them rebound. I need to get busy and find some new spots.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I get JD Jones HHI Sixgunner newsletter. There's a Doctor in WV that shoots couple 100 groundhogs each year with several handguns and hand cannons. He does a report on each one shot and it's interesting.
He also shoots couple 100 deer on crop damage permits for area farmers and does a report on each kill. All are shot with several handguns or hand cannons. All deer are field dressed in the field and all meat goes to needy families.
Interest reading and the guy live for what he does and is a full time family Doctor. He was shot in the shoulder several years ago by a deer hunter and made a come back.
He goes to Africa and Alaska almost every year with handgun only and does a excellent write up on the trips.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm still waiting on the first cut hay too come off too see the little bastages.... Been so wet the hay is 4' tall.... Impossible too see any....

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have only shot 2 so far this year. The yote have done a number on them around here over the last few years. I did see one this afternoon perched high in an old oak tree trying to stay out of the flooded hole.

20150627_164529.jpg

bluedog

Up to 10 for the season now. Went out tonight where my husband had seen one in the produce field. Sat out for 2 hours (and 2 hours a couple nights ago) and nothing. Did see some bucks and a couple turkeys. Took a walk around the perimeter of my one of my neighbor's fields right before dark and found another one but couldn't get a shot. Maybe I'll go back out tomorrow?? My neighbor just cut hay along the fenceline with our corn field. This fenceline has been traditionally a groundhog hot spot. I took a walk tonight and didn't see any but the hayfield was just cut a couple days ago. On the other side is the corn field that has been sprayed so not a lot of young broadleaf plants to be eaten. In one to two weeks, it should start getting good.

I have two other farms I have permission to hunt and have not been to either yet. Looks like it is time to start heading to those other farms until the haying progresses on my neighbor's.

And someone asked about the gun I am using. It is a Savage Model 93 .17hmr. Of my 10 ground hogs I have shot this year, one was around 45-50 yards. The rest have been much closer. In fact 6 of the 10 have been shot off hand at under 30 yards. 3 of those 6 at 5-10 yards. It's been kind of crazy close and fast action on a few hunts. Some fun stalking into range on a couple other hunts. I LOVE stalking.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good work Bluedog! Life has not allowed me to get out much. I am at 2 on the year. 3 maybe? I don't remember. Been very sporadic.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You inspired me Blue dog. Had to give an estimate this morning. It was close to one of my groundhog hunting properties. Loaded the 17hmr and took 15min for myself. Here are the results. Big boy.

uploadfromtaptalk1436297516659.jpg

bluedog

You inspired me Blue dog. Had to give an estimate this morning. It was close to one of my groundhog hunting properties. Loaded the 17hmr and took 15min for myself. Here are the results. Big boy.

View attachment 33436

Yeah!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

I got numbers 11 and 12 last night out of a field where 6 of 12 have been shot. Then I was walking the dogs tonight and saw a HUGE groundhog in that same field right near where I shot one 10 days ago. When I was out last night, I also saw another one right across a large wide drainage in an adjacent hay field. I keep saying I'm going to try one of my other properties and I keep finding new targets right where I've been hunting. What a crazy groundhog season.

bluedog

I generally hunt groundhogs through September with whatever available time permits. I'm pretty sure my best season prior to this year was 15 groundhogs. Well I got number 16 late last week. This week I went over to my neighbor's a couple nights ago. No gun, just a glass of wine to sit and enjoy the evening. Saw two groundhogs while I was over there. I also know where a third is living. I did some mowing on one side of the fence where that groundhog lives to try and limit its choices as to where it goes to eat and give me a better chance of setting up on the correct side of the fence. Woodchucks 2015 keeps rolling along.

I don't have all of them uploaded to my picasa album yet but here are a few more:

Number 8

Number 9 and number 10

Whodunit13579

I would be interested in doing some woodchuck hunting. However, I do not have land of my own. Any suggestion on public hunting lands that I would be able to hunt for groundhog successfully on?

I would be interested in doing some woodchuck hunting. However, I do not have land of my own. Any suggestion on public hunting lands that I would be able to hunt for groundhog successfully on?

I don't know about public land for ground hogs, but most farmers are happy to have them dispatched. If I were you I would do some door knocking. Good luck.