Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Colt files bankruptcy

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Adapt or die.

The AR market became saturated. From high end custom builders to low end kits the market was flooded. Nobody really wanted a colt for the price they were asking. Almost 1000 bucks for a standard colt at one time. Why wouldn't I go buy a Rock River for that price. Another reason nobody wanted one was the non standard takedown pin holes. They were oversized. Meaning if you wanted to put a different upper on your colt lower you has to get adapters. Nobody wants to deal with that and colt placed itself outside the build market. Removing a dust cover and forward assist calling it a slick side is not what I would call innovation.

Ruger and smith whipped colts butt in the revolver market. On the high to middle you had ruger and smith, on the low end Taurus.

Autos. When the compact 380 craze hit and ruger sold millions of LCPs, where was colt?

Pretty much the only thing they did good business with was walmart quality pocket knives. Cough, Gerber.

If colt was planning to survive off their legacy name and not Innovation they needed to start cranking out reproductions of old models. Even if it's other models. I mean Christ, why can't I get a quality falling or rolling block rifle for under 1,800.

Huckleberry Finn

Somebody fart in here? Oops.

I try not to say that you hit the nail on the head too often.. lol. I do not know much about Colt, other than from the brief AR shopping I have done, it seems like you are purchasing a logo with a Colt. I would still take one on a good deal. I do like their pocketlite / mustang 380s but they did seem late to the game and at the high end

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
1911's and AR's were their only game and they had to share with WAY too many others. They put all their eggs in government contract baskets and FN put it too them.