Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thinking about a red dot

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I started using one in 92, I had a hard time focusing on my pins through a peep sight. So I figured I'd give the red dot a try.
I really liked using it. For one, I could see way better in low light. It was also more forgiving when shooting from odd angles, Because you don't need a perfect anchor point. I had a multi yardage dial on mine. 20, 30, 40, 50. I used it until 02 when I bought a new bow. I then bought a newer style red dot. And used that bow until 08 when I went to a x bow. witch also had a red dot on it.
I really like them.
The downfalls to a red dot are the batteries. always have a spare battery with you. Also, You never want to have to make a shot towards the sun. If the sun is in the backdrop of your shot there is a good chance that you wont be able to see the dot. It cost me a very large buck.
You can also shoot a red dot with both eyes open witch helps you see the target. Another advantage is that anyone can pick up your bow with a red dot on it and if its even close to fitting them, They can pick it up and shoot it as good as you in one shot. I'd call it idiot proof.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I've used one on a crossbow for years and love it. I'm thinking of a millet mount with a multi dot scope for my different yardages. I realize I need a parallax free scope. i just think it would be a good set up.

badger

*Supporting Member*
I started using one in 92, I had a hard time focusing on my pins through a peep sight. So I figured I'd give the red dot a try.
I really liked using it. For one, I could see way better in low light. It was also more forgiving when shooting from odd angles, Because you don't need a perfect anchor point. I had a multi yardage dial on mine. 20, 30, 40, 50. I used it until 02 when I bought a new bow. I then bought a newer style red dot. And used that bow until 08 when I went to a x bow. witch also had a red dot on it.
I really like them.
The downfalls to a red dot are the batteries. always have a spare battery with you. Also, You never want to have to make a shot towards the sun. If the sun is in the backdrop of your shot there is a good chance that you wont be able to see the dot. It cost me a very large buck.
You can also shoot a red dot with both eyes open witch helps you see the target. Another advantage is that anyone can pick up your bow with a red dot on it and if its even close to fitting them, They can pick it up and shoot it as good as you in one shot. I'd call it idiot proof.

I still have one on my compound and absolutely love it. I started using one for hunting hogs at night. Lighted pins were a pain in the ass and lasers would spook the pigs. As Motorbreaker says above, make sure you carry spare batteries. I'd also look for the largest diameter you can fit on your bow.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I tried a green dot in 2014 but I have the start of cataracts and I would have 3 dots and never in the same place. I took it off as I didn't think it would be sporting for hunting as the real dot was never in the same place.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I tried a green dot in 2014 but I have the start of cataracts and I would have 3 dots and never in the same place. I took it off as I didn't think it would be sporting for hunting as the real dot was never in the same place.

MK they make a mount that has adjustable yardages for a single red dot. I had one and it worked well. Bad thing about having a 3 dot red or green is that it puts to much light in the scope and makes it hard to see through in low light. I always opted for a single 5mil dot to lower the light in the scope.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My sight only had one green dot. But My newly forming cataracts made it appear there was 3 different dots 2 of which were false dots. And the problem was the real dot was never in the same location in relation with the other 2 false dots.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I ended up ordering a Horton 3 dot like I have on my x bow. I love that one, I'm just waiting on the mount to get it mounted. I will let you know what I think when I get everything together and fling some arrows.