Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New to Ohio

Jdwilliams1468

My name is Justin and I recently moved to the Canton, Ohio area about a month ago. I moved from Florida and did a great amount of duck hunting down there. Been hunting ducks my whole life and look forward to duck hunting in Ohio. I have a 3 1/2 year old female Boykin Spaniel that I hunt with. If any tips on where or where not to hunt (general areas, not asking for any honey holes) could be thrown my way, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Duck hunting has it challenges to say the least in Ohio.... spent A LOT of time scouting and knocking on doors. What looks like a crappy spot now may be a stellar spot in Dec. Just plan on doing a lot of driving and you can do half way decent.

Jdwilliams1468

Yea, that's what I've figured. I've been keeping my eyes open for spots while driving around for work and if there are houses near the ponds to ask for permission once season gets closer. How did you do last season, Rutin?

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I live in Wooster and hunt that area and do ok . Its alot of work to do well on waterfowl in this area and I find that I spend more time scouting and gaining access than I do actually hunting . Last season wasn't very good for me but that was due to the weather pattern and season dates as much as anything . Hopefully they'll move the N/S zone boundary back to 30 next yr .

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Didn't have a stellar season by any means.... Dates were a little jacked up when me and Carpn hunted together and the weather front before thanksgiving pushed a lot of resident birds out right before season opened. Did okay during late season south along the border on divers (still need to get you on the cans Carpn, hell you can kill my limit too lol, all one of em) but in all honestly a lot of my early areas got screwed by drought and to much dang pressure. Hunting waterfowl in Ohio = a lot of gas. Be willing to travel!!!