Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone ever use Gun Broker?

I was looking at buying a rifle to hunt bear deer and elk with out here. I had pretty much settled on one of the new FN made model 70 featherweights in 7x57mm. Long story short I saw this sporterized 1903 Springfield on gun broker. It will cost me a lot less than the M70 and it has a little history. I didnt know that sporterized military rifles were so inexpensive. My question is how does gunbroker work. obvouisly i would have to pay Is there anything I need to be aware of.

here is the ad
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=488702924

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sam uses it some. I have emailed some people back and forth but never bought off GB yet. Depends on the seller I would think. If the seller has plenty of positive feedback, I wouldn't be worried. Pay with CC and you have protection. I think Frank uses it too.

Jamie

Ohio
I've bought a pair of CZ Scout .22 rifles and a 629 Classic on Gunbroker. all three times I had to pay with a postal money order, which made me a little nervous, but all the sellers had tons of great ratings, so I wasn't too worried after making direct contact with the sellers. the biggest thing I would suggest is have a reliable FFL lined up and have his contact information to give to the seller before bidding or buying. otherwise, research the seller carefully and use common sense. there are some good deals to be had on Gunbroker. I did have one issue with one of the CZ rifles. the gun was supposed to come with one 5 rd magazine, but it arrived with the dummy mag that allows one round to be loaded manually at a time, which is what the gun comes with new. the seller made good on it by sending me a 10 round polymer magazine.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have bought and sold over 70 on Gunbroker. Never had a problem. I don't buy when a Postal MO is required as there is no recourse.
Only possible problem was when a seller didn't disclose or show a picture of a stock repair. But the joke was him as the 800.00 rifle I bought turned out to be a NRA Sales rifle from the 1922's and worth 1600-1800.
I even have a rifle to pick up now at my FFL.
I never felt there was much risk as you have the sellers Diver License info. And I hear tell the ATF will followup on gun thefts on a none delivery.
Buy from a established seller with no bad ratings.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I almost forgot. I don't bid on a gun until the last 16 minutes. That way I don't get into a bidding war for 7-10 days. At 16 minutes I put in my max Proxy bid and let the cards drop where they may. I've seen couple guys just keep out bidding each other for 7 days to be high bidder. That in my mind just cost you more money.
Gunbroker has a 15 minute auction rule. A new auction ending time will start over with a new 15 minute auction if a bid is place within the last 15 minutes. So there is no last second sniping as goes on Ebay auctions.
With a Proxy bid the GB program will only bid the next level required for you to be high bidder. Example is the bid is 325.00 and you put in a Proxy bid of 500.00 and the bid requirement is 5.00 the GB program will up the bid to 330.00 unless the other bidder had a Proxy bid of say 450.00 the GB program will bid 455.00.
If the auction has a reserve and you send a question to the seller most seller will tell you what the reserve price is.

By the way that is a nice rifle and will kill anything in North American and the 30-06 is a better caliber than the 7x57. The 30-06 ammo is available anywhere.
Good luck.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The rifle has scope ready bases and rings 50.00, bolt is scope ready, safety is scope ready, trigger replaced with 100.00 commercial upgrade. The checkering is really nice. If I was interested in a custom 30-06 rifle I would go 500.00 plus. I would look at what a good factory rifle would cost and match it.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
First the rifle. It appears to be above average workmanship. It can be very hard to appraise a custom rifle with a few pics that don't show real detail. Description sounds like most of the right things have been done. Trigger, bolt handle, bottom metal, Extra nice stock work. I'm a little surprised it doesn't have a premium aftermarket barrel. Lacking better pics and no knowledge of who did the work I'd say it's an $800-900 rifle.

As far as gunbroker (and other online sources) goes I've had good luck, never really been screwed. Found guns I'd never find in local shops. First you need to find an ffl to do the transfer. That usually runs $20-50. Some dealers won't accept shipment from a private individual, only another ffl, make sure you know if this is an issue with your ffl. Don't be afraid to ask questions, or ask for more pics. If the seller doesn't answer questions or shows attitude forget it. Read his feedback, look for hints the buyer had problems but left positive feedback anyways. Trust your gut.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
I have drooled a lot on GB but have never bought there. Never heard a negative about them. :pickle:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
no i did not i got more pictures and it had a big gouge under the forearm in the checkered panel. I decided to pass because the biggest selling point vs other sporterized rifles was the stock work.

Wow, that should have been in the original description. I agree the stock was a big part of that rifle.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That will come back and bite the seller in the ass. That happened to me one time and I told him was taking the rifle back and paying shipping both ways and i would file a Negative rating. We agreed on me keeping the rifle with a 100.00 refund.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have bought from Gunbroker 2 times now I think. Just like any other online thing, watch feedback and I always used a credit card if possible for a little more fraud protection.