Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who's hunted spring gobbler out west? (Archertl maybe you can help!)

teej89

NE PA
My dad brought up the idea of going on a week long archery spring gobbler hunt next spring out west. Granted we have NO IDEA as to what state... Any one have any input on a good state/wildlife area? We were looking into Nebraska...

I hunted turkey hunted in Nebraska 6 or 7 years ago. I wanted to kill a mature Merriam's. I had killed a jake in north Dakota but needed a long beard for my grand slam. We hunted the north west corner of the state in a place they pine ridge. We hunted on public ground and there where plenty of birds. The gobbling was great we located birds everyday we where there. we both killed mature birds and had a great time. Camping was free at the area we hunted I can't remember the parks name.
if you hunt in the eastern part of the state you will find easterns not Merriam's

Greg

teej89

NE PA
I hunted turkey hunted in Nebraska 6 or 7 years ago. I wanted to kill a mature Merriam's. I had killed a jake in north Dakota but needed a long beard for my grand slam. We hunted the north west corner of the state in a place they pine ridge. We hunted on public ground and there where plenty of birds. The gobbling was great we located birds everyday we where there. we both killed mature birds and had a great time. Camping was free at the area we hunted I can't remember the parks name.
if you hunt in the eastern part of the state you will find easterns not Merriam's

Greg

My dad was acutally talking about pine ridge... cuz he wants to kill two birds with one sotne being hunt turkeys and scout for muleys. From my research the place is not the greatest for mule deer but the tags are OTC. I'm trying to talk him out of a wild goose chase on mule deer there but I'm glad you said the turkey hunting is good there!

If you remember the name of the camp ground I'd love to know, thanks!

T.J.