Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Getting started in traditional archery.

copperhead

Hello, Im about to purchase my first traditional bow and have been doing some research on what I should get. I like the look and what I've read about the Martin Savannah long bow. I also looked at blackwidow bows but they are to much money for now, as are most custom jobs I've priced. The savannah has some good reviews, better in fact than the Bear montana I was looking into earlier. Does anyone here have any experience with these bows? Also I was looking at arrows and broadheads. I want to shoot a heavy shaft and head. This is important because Id like to be able to shoot out to thirty yards. I'm planning to get a sixty pound bow. I know this is a pretty stiff draw weight but I'm physically able to handle it. How are the Easton arrows? What would you reccommend? How about Zwicky broadheads. When it comes down to it I want solid highly functional equipment that will do what I need it to do year after year in all weather conditions. I want simplicity, reliability, and durability. Your advice is valuable and I hope someone takes the time to respond. Thank you and God bless!

Welcome to TOO, I don't have much knowledge on traditional archery. We have some guys here that are well versed on the subject, I'm sure they will have good advice on the subject.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What Lumbhead said. I am not the man, but someone will chime in soon enough. Welcome to TOO.

copperhead

Thanks fellas I've got another one as well. What is the deal with a single bevel braodhead? I read that they create an S shaped wound channel that makes for better blood trailing. Also is 3 rivers a good place to order archery gear? I've got many question as you can see concerning traditional archery. Up until now I have always used a crossbow so this will be a big learning curve.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I have a martin bushmaster long bow and like it a lot but wish it was 40# instead of 50#. Long bows are harder to shoot than recurves because your shooting around the bow and not through it. Its a great time when you find the right bow. If you have a Basspro or other place that sellls bows where you could try them out would be a good start. Also welcome aboard!!!!

Jamie

Ohio
If I were going to buy a new production bow today, I'd buy a Martin. or a used custom or older production bow like a Pearson, Bear, Shakespear, Browning, etc. lots of very nice used bows out there for $300 or less. If you have not shot or handled may recurves or longbows, I'd suggest doing so before buying anything. Ideally, hook up with somebody that has some bows and can help you get going. By that I mean help you acquire a bow, proper arrows, tuning them, shooting instruction. It is possible that you could get good help from the guy behind the counter at Cabela's, BassPro, or a local pro shop, but I doubt it.

I've been in archery nearly 40 years and the number one mistake beginners make (especially young men) is over-bowing themselves. 60lbs is not a good place to start with a traditional bow no matter how strong you are. put your ego away when choosing your first trad bow. 40-50lbs (at your draw length) is a much better plan. get a heavier bow after you've developed the right muscles and cultivated solid shooting form and gained some experience.

"heavy" arrows are a matter of opinion, mostly. I'm a firm believer in "heavy" arrows and one piece cut-on-contact broadheads, like Zwickey, which is an excellent head so long as you can sharpen them.

30 yards? If you are a beginner in trad archery, shooting game at that distance in real life hunting situations is extremely difficult with traditional bows. very few shooters have any business attempting shots that long on game. seriously. Besides, part of the appeal of traditional archery hunting is the intimacy of getting up close and personal with your target.

Go to some traditional 3D shoots. OSTA is always a good place to meet people who know trad archery. You will find that people in traditional archery are more than willing to help out a new guy or gal. or come to my shop sometime and I'll help you. with hunting season 3 months away, you don't have any time to waste finding a bow and some arrows so you can begin practicing in earnest.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Welcome to TOO!
I just started recurve hunting last season and what Jamie said is spot on.
I learned alot on TOO from several of the trad shooters here.
I also could handle a 60 pd bow but would not want to do it all the time and went with a 47# pd bow and am glad i did, just much more fun to shoot and not have to struggle with the extra poundage.
Good luck on the 30 yd shots, when practicing i like to shoot at tennis balls at different distances out to 35 or 40 yds but no way am i shooting that far at a deer with my recurve.
25 yds and under for me.
I have a Black Widow and love it but i also have an old ben pearson recurve at 48 pds from the 70s and it also shoots great.
Lots of good broadheads out there, i shoot magnus stinger 4 blade at 125 gr and carbon arrows and they do a great job on putting a deer down.
Magnus stinger broadheads are 30 dollars for 3 and a lifetime warranty which i have sent some back after breaking the bleeder blades and in a few weeks get a brand new pack in the mail
Or you can spend 90 dollars for 3 single bevel heads.
Both will kill a deer but i will stick with the stingers.
Like i said i just got into this last season and their are several guys on here that know a hell of alot more about it than i do.
Good luck and have fun.

copperhead

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and for the advice. Traditional archery is something I've always wanted to get involved in. I guess it just seems to be a more simple way to hunt. I'm not much for buying all the new toys for hunters out on the market, nor can I afford to even if I did want all the gizmos. As far as the thirty yard deal that is the absolute furthest shot I'm interested in taking at game. I'f I cannot become good enough with my bow to make shots like that, then I won't try it. Reguardless, I want to get as close as possible. Where is your shop located Jamie? I only know of one guy who shoots trad bows around me. He is supposed to be a very good shot, and we have a bass pro in Cincinnati. I'll get in contact and see whats up with them.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I've been in archery nearly 40 years and the number one mistake beginners make (especially young men) is over-bowing themselves. 60lbs is not a good place to start with a traditional bow no matter how strong you are. put your ego away when choosing your first trad bow. 40-50lbs (at your draw length) is a much better plan. get a heavier bow after you've developed the right muscles and cultivated solid shooting form and gained some experience.

Listen to what the man is saying here.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Welcome aboard Copperhead and I second the notion to listen to Jamie! Other than being my Ugly Twin, He does know bow hunting with the stick and string. Has/does make his own bows and arrow from scratch even. No nicer guy in trad archery. And hook up with OSTA. Years and years of experience there and a very friendly family oriented group!

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Listen to what the man is saying here.

Yep thats where i dicked up!!! Was thinking that since i shot a 60# compound that a 50# long bow would be a snap. A 40 pounder would be all i wanted and could shoot for long periods of time and not just for a few arrows.