Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

GoPro Hero3

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've been looking at the hero3 for filming hunts and other fun stuff. I've always wanted to film my hunts so I have the memories forever. I like that it has the remote option and WiFi. The hero4 is out of the question because I can't swing $400 on a camera, Walmart has the hero3 for $200 with a $25 gift card. Do any of you guys have one of these or any other action camera? I'll be making the purchase within the next few weeks.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My son has one he bought for the grandson's bear hunt last year. I works great and under water shots of trout was cool.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have the hero3. It works great. The remote is great to have and very useful. The free editing software download was fairly easy to use and makes the footage a lot funner to show friends.
I have the mounts for the 4 wheeler/bike bracket but the one I have used the most is for mounting on a gun/bow or fishing pole.

Now the down side... They do not zoom so any footage beyond say 20 yards becomes very small to see. a 35 yard bow or gun shot would not show a high res. impact shot. A 30 yard rabbit shot if mounted on the bottom of a shotgun would be a great "general" view but lack in detail of a close-up...

If you u-tube Go-Pro footage you will notice the most impressive footage is closer up or wide views Figuring that out, I use it for close up subject shots or mounted near-by and use the remote to film yourself AS you take the shot and the reaction you have afterword's. I want to try mounting it down on a shooting lane using a Gorilla Arm camera mount with it 10 yards and use the remote to turn it on THEN take the shot but todate, that has not been tried but I believe it will make for a great shot.

In conclusion, some "canned" shots before hand are needed if its going to be your only camera but the close stuff is very impressive. I love it but have learned the limitations. Good audio too.

We borrowed a go-pro from a friend at my wife's work and the only thing I didn't like was the frog eye type view it gave. He thought it could be changed to a regular view but couldn't figure it out. We intended on using it behind the plate at softball games to get hitting footage for my daughter. Just didn't seem like it would work out good unless we were doing something wrong. Anyone have any feedback on that??

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
We borrowed a go-pro from a friend at my wife's work and the only thing I didn't like was the frog eye type view it gave. He thought it could be changed to a regular view but couldn't figure it out. We intended on using it behind the plate at softball games to get hitting footage for my daughter. Just didn't seem like it would work out good unless we were doing something wrong. Anyone have any feedback on that??
The videos I've seen on YouTube of the hero3 don't have any fish eye type view. Was it the original one you used?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
The fish eye can be changed. Down load the manual.
I'm not sure but you may even be able to change the view w/ the editing software since its digital. Been to long now since I played w/ it.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've been doing some research on action cams and I keep going back to GoPro. I like that it has WiFi and a optional remote, plus all the attachments they sell for it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Battery life kinda sucks I he go pros and if you look on eBay you can find batteries for reasonable prices... I have three batteries and a float attachment with the waterproof case.... If you're around any water invest in it....

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I agree the battery life sucks. I tried to use my son's during deer season and everytime I turned it on the battery was dead or dying. Maybe it was me.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Turn off the wifi option and it'll last longer.... One thing that did pop up for a buddy his last season.... There's a blinking light too show power on.... Turn that option off as any deer in your area will pick right up on it and high tail it outta there..... Nanny doe busted my buddy as he watched go by.... Didn't wind him just saw that damn blinking light.....

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
My son has the 3. He videoed his turkey hunt using the head harness. The birds were less than 15 yards and made for a cool video but beyond that distance would be useless. He also made a bracket to put it on a decoy. He hasn't had any birds come in yet while on the decoy but you can YouTube it and see some great videos like that. For the price it's a cool investment.
When I get home from vacation I will see if I can get the video posted.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
My son has the 3. He videoed his turkey hunt using the head harness. The birds were less than 15 yards and made for a cool video but beyond that distance would be useless. He also made a bracket to put it on a decoy. He hasn't had any birds come in yet while on the decoy but you can YouTube it and see some great videos like that. For the price it's a cool investment.
When I get home from vacation I will see if I can get the video posted.
Sounds good!

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Here is my sons video. He shoots when the birds are less than 15 yards. You can see that beyond that is a waste but if you put the cam out near where the shot would be it would make a big difference. I will see if I can get a video from him with the cam on his decoy. The video is also more clear before being uploaded to photobucket....a LOT more clear. ARG!

If anyone wants to see the clear video, pm me your email.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks for the video. That's the sizing I seen on my son's videos. Up close it's great but further out it lacks the size of the objects. That about the sizing of animals I get with my Plotwatcher Pro time lapse camera.