Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bear blasted in Campbell, Ohio, Mahoning County.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
just heard a radio report that a Campbell Police officer wacked a 300lb blackbear in the City of Campbell, Mahoning County. Bear weighed 300lbs? Supposedly used a Rifle then coup de gras with pistol.

Jamie

Ohio
1. a black bear that is roaming around in the heart of suburbia probably does not have much fear of humans, which makes it a very dangerous bear.
2. it takes time to organize a tranq, capture, relocate operation. where would they take it after its drugged and captured? relocated wild animals suffer something on the order of an 80% mortality rate, anyway.
3. what if this bear mauled you or your children or ate your dog while you were waiting on the DOW or local animal control to come with their tranquilizer gun and bear cage?

we'd all rather the bear not get killed like that, but that was probably the smartest thing to do without the luxury of time to make a more appealing plan.

Just another trigger happy Barney Phife IMO! I could see if the bear was doing damage or something. Just to kill it over some screaming lady and a couple of dogs is ridiculous.

I agree. Young males this time of year are pushed away from their mothers and have to fend for themselves which can take them a long ways from home and to an easier meal. Not necessarily a dangerous bear or one that doesn't have fear of humans. Tranquilizing one does take time though to set up and even a trap, getting one in place could take a long while as well.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
1. a black bear that is roaming around in the heart of suburbia probably does not have much fear of humans, which makes it a very dangerous bear.
2. it takes time to organize a tranq, capture, relocate operation. where would they take it after its drugged and captured? relocated wild animals suffer something on the order of an 80% mortality rate, anyway.
3. what if this bear mauled you or your children or ate your dog while you were waiting on the DOW or local animal control to come with their tranquilizer gun and bear cage?

we'd all rather the bear not get killed like that, but that was probably the smartest thing to do without the luxury of time to make a more appealing plan.

Years ago (early 90's) there was a bear roaming around in Liberty Ohio (a suburb of Youngstown which is what Campbell is also) and they called in the DNR too tranquilize and remove, it was up on a telephone pole at the top and the bear was shot right there and fell onto the power line and stuck on it just long enough too cook it.... Died before it hit the makeshift catch tarp that it eventually hit and bounced outta of..... No guaranteeing a safe humane way of doing it either.....

Jamie

Ohio
if Barney Fife does NOT shoot the bear and somebody gets hurt or killed should we declare him a bunny hugging liberal pussy or a lazy, irresponsible, doughnut mongering dipshit cop for not pulling the trigger when he should have?

huntn2

Hudson, OH
We get bears that roam through suburban Cleveland every year without having them shot. If the bear was being a threat I get it, just seems the merely wonder on through without incident each summer.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Cops eat donuts? lmao

I'm all for shooting any dangerous animals that infringe on our safety. Being at the top of the food chain does have its perks...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
if Barney Fife does NOT shoot the bear and somebody gets hurt or killed should we declare him a bunny hugging liberal pussy or a lazy, irresponsible, doughnut mongering dipshit cop for not pulling the trigger when he should have?

Yes. I am pretty sure that is the other option and generally the way it works. He is the bad guy either way.

Jamie

Ohio
I agree. Young males this time of year are pushed away from their mothers and have to fend for themselves which can take them a long ways from home and to an easier meal. Not necessarily a dangerous bear or one that doesn't have fear of humans. Tranquilizing one does take time though to set up and even a trap, getting one in place could take a long while as well.

a 200-300 pound black bear is not a cub. it is 3-4 years old and they do not stay with their mothers that long. he was most likely looking for food.

maybe this bear was tranquilized and relocated from Cleveland. lmao

You can declare the cop whatever suits you. I think he was a bit trigger happy. Most police officers in Ohio most likely never saw a bear other than in a zoo. My guess is the officer didn't have sufficient knowledge of bear behavior to make a true assessment of the situation at hand.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Can't believe the national media hasn't grabbed this . After all , it was a police officer shooting a unarmed black .