Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My Tarpon from the surf

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
I did something this summer that i may never do again...I caught a Tarpon from the surf of North carolina..Some of the locals have never heard of such a feat but somehow i managed it...lol...North carolina gave me a Citation award for catching him from the surf and releasing him.

Not sure how many Folks on this site would appreciate this feat or even know what a Tarpon is but ive been told thats its very very rare.:smiley_bril:

Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
That's not a tarpon, it's an oversized crappie minnow!

Nice fish, how many pound test and what size rod...or did you just barehand him?

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Fellows..

I used a Mullet for bait and i rigged something up so he was suspended just below the surface...I used a 10 foot rod by penn with 20 lb test mono...It took me 45 mins to get him in..He was flippin and dancin..incredible fight.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i did not think they went that far north...bet that sucker did fight like hell

rrr

Some of the locals have never heard of such a feat but somehow i managed it...

You out of state-er are always better than the locals, eh?

Nice fish.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I fish the Cape Canaveral surf every summer so I know you "done" good! I'm going to try that technique. I usually cast crank baits, but it gets old after a few hours.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
lol ernie..Thats what the old man at the bait shop said..Claims its been 20 or 30 years since one was caught from the surf on the island.....Now..from a boat is a different story.

Now Mike..Make sure the mullet is NOT riding the top or the gulls will get it..Keep the mullet just under the surface. As the tide current goes out the mullet will be flippin and spinnin all over the place..Big Blues..mackeral..and I guess Tarpon cant resist.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
lol ernie..Thats what the old man at the bait shop said..Claims its been 20 or 30 years since one was caught from the surf on the island.....Now..from a boat is a different story.

Now Mike..Make sure the mullet is NOT riding the top or the gulls will get it..Keep the mullet just under the surface. As the tide current goes out the mullet will be flippin and spinnin all over the place..Big Blues..mackeral..and I guess Tarpon cant resist.

So basically you rigged up a shallow slip bobber?

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Gern,,

I released the fish

Jack,

Correct...I used a weight slide with a 6oz. weight and the Mullet was brought to the surface by a bobber type thing.

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
I fish on the flats of Mosquito Lagoon. A flats boat is what is best...my brother has a sweet one (that's what we use). We have some connections to some guys who fish over there everyday, so we usually know where the fish are...now, getting them to bite...that's a whole different gamble.