Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doe Diet

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I watched a doe last night wade into the lake to over her knees in water to nibble on a lily pad.
I was 150 yards away on the other side and puzzled by her wading out so I raised up the rifle to look at her through the scope.

I've never seen or known a deer to do that. Anyone else?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Never seen it either. Deer can ingest around 200 different types or forage, so I'm not totally surprised. My guess is the lilies offer a flavor she likes, or nourishment her body needs. Would make for a cool picture!

Qback5

WOW - very neat observation, particularly during a time of the year when so much vegetation is available.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I thought that too... Sadly all I had was a gun. Usually, I carry both.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Neighbor at the end of our lake and his wife told me tonight they watched this doe for 15-20 min. eating lily pads earlier this week.
Odd, but I guess it wasn't a 1 time thing for her.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
In the water, only 1 other time but I see her 2-3 times a week when I'm home. She has a couple marks that make her easy to ID.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Over the weekend we saw that doe, with her fawn wading out to eat some lilly's.
The fawn was like any kid, running in and out!! lol I wish they were doing this closer.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I saw something like that 8 years ago or so in our neighbors lake. A fawn had her two fawns with her while visiting the lake for a drink but the little ones turned it into a water park stop! For 15 plus minutes them two played and ran in and out of that lake like two little kids! Very cool sight!