Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Any VW Bug guys out there?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We have had a couple VW Beetles in the family. My parents still have a cream puff in their garage with under 20,000 miles. Original paint is fantastic. Really turns heads. I bought a 73 Super Beetle 20+ yrs ago as a driver. Started a restoration and it fizzled out. Lately, I have been getting the bug fever again. Currently searching the interwebz looking for the right project. Might go look at a couple tomorrow. Anyone have one? Had one? Funny stories about them?

I can tell you a few but don't want to incriminate myself.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Back when i was growing up in the 70's a guy down the street had one we called the baja bug lol. He would take us off roading in it and it was a blast. Wow now i feel really old lol!!!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've had several over the years. I bought a new 1971 Super Bettle and it was a good car and easy to work on. I had 2 kit cars built on the Bettle. I think I still have a spare motor laying in the barn after 35 odd years.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Let me know if you have any desire to part with the engine Frank. Just needs to turn free.

Several years ago I acquired a new old stock dunebuggy body. Fiberglass body never installed. Guessing from the 70's but can't find any badges of brand or tags with serial numbers. I know it was never installed because these shells were generally drilled and built per project. Drill for seat placement. Drill for mounting of lights, etc. I need to do some homework. If this was a Manx body. . . . It could fetch thousands. Long shot it is a Manx. Still has to be worth what I paid for it. It is on the third tier of pallet racking up in the rafters of one of our buildings awaiting the right project or future owner.

Buckmaster

Portage
My Dad bought a 72 Beetle around the gas crisis in 79-81. It was yellow and came without heat; so for heat he had a one pound propane cylinder heater mounted on the passenger side via bungie cord. I remember sitting in that seat trying not to burn my leg.