Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cuddeback questions

Diablo54

Outside
I have enough christmas money to get either the 5 mp infrared cam or the 3mp flash. Which one would you reccomend. Also are people still having problems with defaulty cuddebacks?

Sent from my iPhone using TapaaaaaaTalk

Diablo54

Outside
The 5mp is 250$ with a 50$ rebate and a 20$ ff coupon. While the 3mp is 175$ with 25$ rebate and 20$ off coupon.

So 180 for the 5mb

Or 130 for the 3mp

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I've been hearing a lot of bad things about Cuddeback lately. Personally, I would buy the IR if I was buying anything but a Cudde. With a Cudde, I'd get the flash since it's been getting better reviews. But I'd ask around on the Cuddes some more before you pull the trigger. I know Creamer wrote them off and he was a Cudde fan boy for a long time...

Last edited:

Kaiser878

ohio
I dont care for the cudde IRs in the capture model. They are grainy and often have whiteout issues. IF you can get a cudde capture flash for 130, you best buy it. Just be forewarned their customer service sucks and if it breaks your out 130 bucks because they are next to impossible toget ahold of. Even then, if you are lucky enough to get ahold of them, they are gonig to bend you over and give it to you like your a small school girl!!!!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I will agree with Kaiser, I have the Capture in IR and regular flash. The night IR pictures suck in my opinion. I will say though that i've owned mine for 3 years (the regular flash this will be year 2), and have not had a single problem. One time I had it out and it didn't save the pictures to the card. Cuddeback informed me that Sandisk cards were the recommended brand, after I switched to Sandisk I have had no issue.

Diablo54

Outside
The reason i want to spend the $ on a cudde was becAuse of the image quality. I havent personally seen any cams that even compare.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The reason i want to spend the $ on a cudde was becAuse of the image quality. I havent personally seen any cams that even compare.

But at what cost??? Sometimes you give a little to get a little and customer service speaks volumes about a company....

Diablo54

Outside
Nope. Just want a good cam. What would you guys reccomend for a cam under 200 bucks.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Nope. Just want a good cam. What would you guys reccomend for a cam under 200 bucks.

You can get a good cam and consider several other options long before picture quality. I had two Cuddes and to be honest, I think my Primos 35's do just as well, or better than the Capture IR I had. The Truth 60 is probably the highest rated camera for the money right now and you can snag those for $138 on eBay right now. I much rather hang my Primos cams than a Cudde as well. If you plan to move them around, the Cuddes are a pain in the ass IMO.

I've been running cams for 7 years now and I read almost every review on Chasing Cam, Cabelas, and Bass Pro in the last two weeks while researching cams. IMO, Cuddeback was third on my list behind Primos and Bushnell. Because of Bushnell's current software issues and Cuddebacks horrible customer service, I decided to stick with Primos. You cannot place a $ value on quality service and Cuddeback flat sucks in that department. Do yourself a favor and visit Chasing Game, then read the reviews on Cabelas and Bass Pro on any camera you would consider. Cuddeback is no longer the no-brainer they once were...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
on gander you can get 2 spypoint cams for 200 bucks shipped to your door....spypoint FLA i believe...Jackolope has 2 of them

Diablo54

Outside
How much of a quality difference should be expected between the 35s and the 60s? I have been reading alot of trailcampro.com. Thanks for the responses.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
How much of a quality difference should be expected between the 35s and the 60s? I have been reading alot of trailcampro.com. Thanks for the responses.

I'll be able to tell you in a week!

Picture wise, I would not expect much of a difference. Where you'll see the difference is in settings and IR flash range. I wanted to try the 60's to get the extended flash range as I was not thrilled with the range on the 35 after running a BEC for so long. The 60's should give me the performance I'm after in an affordable cam...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
on gander you can get 2 spypoint cams for 200 bucks shipped to your door....spypoint FLA i believe...Jackolope has 2 of them

Yep. I have 3 of them.. I think I bought 3 shipped with the IR module installed instead of the White flash.. I bought 3 from gander for 255 + shipping but i had a 50 dollar off coupon. So after tax and 2 day shipping they were about 85 each...

I haven't found anything wrong with battery life. I can't remember but i think they are 4 or 6AA batteries... I've had one cam out about 3 weeks in these temps and the batteries still show solid. Motion detection is good at various ranges. IR Switch is fast as I haven't had 1 whiteout pic. The he FL-A model camera has a min. 15 second delay between triggers. But you can adjust that higher..

The ONLY complaint i have is motion blur. If an object is moving it will slightly blur the image.

Here is a couple examples. These have been reduced to 30% their original size when opened. They have a new Firmware out and I want to see if that helps the Motion issue. So far though, i'm not complaining.... Obviously a BEC would blow this out of the water. But this is VC Property and they'll steal your eyes if you don't watch it..

Check the flash range on this one.
Woods Buck.JPG

Pines Doe.JPG
My Hot Ass.jpg

Sensor range
My Ass2.jpg

Here is some of the Blur i was talking about.. I guess bucks bob their head when they piss. lol
Pines Buck.JPG

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Because of Bushnell's current software issues and Cuddebacks horrible customer service, I decided to stick with Primos. You cannot place a $ value on quality service and Cuddeback flat sucks in that department. Do yourself a favor and visit Chasing Game, then read the reviews on Cabelas and Bass Pro on any camera you would consider. Cuddeback is no longer the no-brainer they once were...

I got lucky when I purchased the 2010 Bushnell trophy cam. Mine was purchased as soon as it hit the market, and from what I've read the software/firmware issues started around May of 2010. IMO, I've had incredible results with my cam... over 8000 pics and a couple hundred videos, and has been going non-stop on the same set of batteries for just over a year now. That being said, after reading the latest reviews at chasinggame.com, I too would be hesitant to buy a Bushnell right now. If I could be certain I was getting an original pre-fuckup model, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Even so, I'd still buy any Bushnell TC over a Cuddeback.