Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1968 El Camino Project

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I posted a little bit about this on the TOO Projects thread but figured I would start a separate thread to keep up with the progress.
Last June I bought a 1968 El Camino for Connor. It was what he wanted for his first car. The plan was for us to work on it together and get it ready for his 16th Birthday. It was pretty rough when we brought it home but we figured it would be a fun project.
Connor started sanding on it right away and within a few days we had most of it down to bare metal.

After the accident I decided I needed to finish it for Connor. I had a hard time getting started on it again but did a little here and there.
A few weeks ago I decided it was time to get rockin and rollin on it.

I have never done any body work so the going is slow but I am figuring some things out as I go. I have replaced the floor pan and one patch panel on the drivers side rear quarter in. I have 2 more patch panels to put in the front fenders and will be replacing the entire passenger rear qtr left to do. Once that is done It will be time to get the body filler work done. My goal is to try and get the 2 patch panels in this weekend and the rear qtr replaced next week.

I pulled the original 307 motor and power glide transmission. I am in the process of rebuilding a 355 motor to put back in. I have a turbo 350 transmission that will go with it.

Here is Connor sanding on it.
Connor Sanding.jpeg
Here is after we removed the front clip.
Front Clip Removed.jpeg
The Motor I am rebuilding
ElCamino Motor.jpg
Here is during Sanding
ElCamino on Lift.jpeg
Floorpan Installed
ElCaminoFloorpan.jpg
Patch Panel. Still have some welding and grinding to do to finish it up.
ElCaminoQtrWeld.jpg

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Nice project. Make sure to use duraglass on the patches before using bondo.
Ive done a lot of 68-72 chevys, Best upgrade imo is a set of front disc brakes from wildwood. If you have the manual drum brakes this is a must imo.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Had a productive weekend. In between Graduation parties and such I got the 2 front fenders patched up. Still have some more fine tuning to do with some welding and grinding but was pretty happy with the progress.
Drivers side
FrontQtrDriver.jpg
Passenger Side
FrontQtrPassenger.jpg
Plan for this week is to get the Passenger side rear qtr skin replaced. That will be all the metal needing replaced. I will then go back around all the patches and weld some more and get all the grinding done.
I hope to also get the core support replaced. If all goes as planned I should be ready for duraglass and body filler next week.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Very cool. I wouldn't part with the power glide, I see him needing it later in life. lol

I am keeping the 307 and the power glide since they are numbers matching. They only have 70k miles on them. My plan is to go through them this winter and get them all freshened up. They will then get wrapped up and stored in case I ever decide to go back 100% original.

Buckmaster

Portage
I'll admit......I still play with cars.

The red one is a 63 Chevy II SS, the blue is a 67 Chevy II.

Both need some TLC.

67 Nova.jpg

Attachments

• Nova 2.jpg
    Nova 2.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 251

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
A couple quick things I have learned the last week. I am by no means a welder. I am just learning and this probably isn't the best project to show my skills or lack there of.

I don't care how much protective gear you wear hot metal will find its way to your bare skin. It just becomes harder to get it out quickly with all the protective gear on.
If it looks like it will take you 10 minutes to do it. It will probably take half a day.
No matter how much you get done you still have a lot left to do.
A good radio, cold beer, and a grill make all projects better.
You can do anything with the tools you have but having the right tools for the job can save many many swear words.

PSE13

Shelby
Looks good! I enjoy watching people's progress as they work on cars! I love to do it myself! Here's a engine im putting together!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433203099.676521.jpg

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
looks good im glad you have been able to work on it ive got a camaro me and lucas spent hours on and i havent touched except to pull the motor, one of these days ill get back to it but not sure when