Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who has fawns?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Checked one camera yesterday while placing minerals. No fawns yet. Did have a coyote with something in it's mouth but couldn't tell what it was. Had at least one doe who looked ready to pop any day. Need to check other 3 cameras out and place minerals in 2 more locations whenever I get around to it. Work schedule has been brutal. Hopefully some of you guys are seeing fawns. Seeing none had me a bit disappointed.

rsmith

Had one pic of a fawn, she was bigger though, like born a month or 2 ago? I'll look for the pic

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad to read this. I realize once the fawns drop we don't always get to see them right away. Probably rare to have pics of one only a day old or so. I generally see the does go missing (or movement on cams slow down anyway) for a bit and then another 2-4 weeks before the fawns start appearing with any regularity. By late June to early July we should see them pretty consistently. Sound about right from what others have seen? I know I enjoy seeing them show up. Cute lil buggers. Then they grow up into lil burgers.

themedic

OHIO
Saw my first fawn today. Mom was protective as the fawn couldn't get across the farm fence. Love seeing them things. I'm probably in yhe minority that I've never touched/petted a fawn.

Pulled a card on May20th. Put the camera out on April 28th and the 4gig card was filled with over 3700 photos by May 11th. The does and a few bucks are hitting the TR very hard. No fawns to be seen though. I'm sure the 2gig card in the camera is already filled. Hope to change cards this weekend.

Diablo54

Outside
I kicked one up on the tractor today. It ran 40 yards right into my dogs mouth. Good thing he's soft mouthed and wasn't thinking of it as food. He tackled it and play crouched at it. One scream and a smack of my hands and he learned it wasn't a toy lol.
It was just a tad smaller than him.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Driving up an old haul route today and glanced down in the creek to see a doe standing over a wobbly legged fawn. Couldn't have been more than a few days old. Pretty cool scene.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
No cams out yet but I came home yesterday from my boys baseball game and a doe we have been watching had her fawn out. She and her last year's yearling have been staying in the woods beside the house. Im pretty sure she was born in the woods two years ago. The little guy looked to be a week or so old.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Backed the dump truck onto my property (You know the one Jake) yesterday. Was unloading some fill dirt I had. I have been screening dirt and taking the twice screened remnants with rocks and such to my property. I am filling in some low spots a bit at a time. Was on the phone with Buckmaster at the time but forgot to tell him. Backed dump truck in, got out with it still running to unlatch tailgate. Walking around the truck with the engine noise, the deer had no clue I was walking towards it until I was 10-15 feet away. She bolted hard. Surprised to see her sit tight so long. I suspect there is a fawn on the edge of my woods as it is very thick in this area and I often see fawning take place here every year. I peered through the woods and tried to spy a fawn but had no luck. Can't verify it but I suspect she had a fawn close. I didn't enter the woods to snoop. I dumped the dirt and rolled out like I saw nothing. Hopefully she was back with her fawn shortly after she heard me pull out.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Backed the dump truck onto my property (You know the one Jake) yesterday. Was unloading some fill dirt I had. I have been screening dirt and taking the twice screened remnants with rocks and such to my property. I am filling in some low spots a bit at a time. Was on the phone with Buckmaster at the time but forgot to tell him. Backed dump truck in, got out with it still running to unlatch tailgate. Walking around the truck with the engine noise, the deer had no clue I was walking towards it until I was 10-15 feet away. She bolted hard. Surprised to see her sit tight so long. I suspect there is a fawn on the edge of my woods as it is very thick in this area and I often see fawning take place here every year. I peered through the woods and tried to spy a fawn but had no luck. Can't verify it but I suspect she had a fawn close. I didn't enter the woods to snoop. I dumped the dirt and rolled out like I saw nothing. Hopefully she was back with her fawn shortly after she heard me pull out.

Always a good sign too see the little fellows.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
uploadfromtaptalk1438298662480.jpguploadfromtaptalk1438298689605.jpguploadfromtaptalk1438298744663.jpguploadfromtaptalk1438298766788.jpg
Haven't ran the cams much this yr but sure have lots of fawns.
The first two pics is of the big doe on the farm,this is her third year having triplets which is pretty cool.
Also have several does with twins.
The coyote trapping sure seems to be paying off.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I had one. Went out the other day to check the cam behind my house. As I was walking out I noticed this fawn.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438309103.011217.jpg

As I inched closer, I noticed she had a broken rear left leg and was struggling to get away. So, instead of making her run, I walked around the other side of the field so she could relax.

A little while later, she was bedded in my backyard.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438309181.853049.jpg

Today, I'm out painting the bay windows on the side of my house. It's a little bit of slope and I'm trying to get the ladder right without killing myself. All of sudden I catch a whiff of something dead. I'm by myself so I say out loud, "man, something's dead. I'm gonna be too if I don't get this ladder right."

(Yes, I was talking to myself)

I head to the back patio to grab a couple bricks to put under the left side of the ladder and I see this...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438309317.945498.jpg

Yep, poor little girl didn't make it. She decided to hide on my patio.
I proceeded to drag her out and took her down over the hill.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438309381.134874.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438309391.435188.jpg

I saw her last on Tuesday. When I pulled her out, I could see Something had been chewing on her already. I knew when I saw her the first time she wasn't gonna make it. Never thought in a million years she would die by my house though.