Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

FOR SALE Dunstan chestnut trees

whitetail_joe

i grew a bunch of dunstan chestnut trees this year from seed for my own planting but have way to many. Most are a foot tall or so now. Check out youtube under dunstan chestnut and dr deer does a review on them on North American whitetail. My seed came from chestnut ridge of pike county ( Illinois). Real tree nurseries is about the only place I've found you can buy them. Chestnuts need to be planted in pairs as they wont pollinate by themselves. $10 each or 3 for $25 which are in pots. I've got several in red solo cups because I ran out of dirt to put them in. Solo cup dunstans are 3 for $20 or $8 each and I'll give you pots if you would like to transplant them into the bigger pot. I've also got some chestnuts growing from a local tree that are according to the landowner 15/16ths american (same as the dunstan). These local chestnuts are all in solo cups and are $5 each, and if you would like a pot to place them in I will give those as well. None of These are Chinese and they are all blight resistant. I'm located in pike county in between latham and Idaho near longs retreat. 30 miles from chillicothe, Hillsboro, Peebles. I'll try to upload some pics.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I just planted 4 dunstans about a month ago. I bought them from chestnut hill nursery. They seem to be doing pretty good in the 5 ft tree tubes I put them in. They are about 3 feet tall now and growing pretty fast.

whitetail_joe

I just fertilized all of mine for the first time and they are starting to jump up. I need to get some tree tubes and start transplanting them in places I can closely monitor.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I stuck some miracle grow fertilizer stakes by each of mine the other day. Went out and checked on them today and a couple are only a foot from the top of the tube. When I got them they were only 2 ft tall and had no leaves.

whitetail_joe

some pic of the trees
DSC_0012.jpgDSC_0011.jpg

whitetail_joe

Pretty much sold all that I was going to this year. May have a few to sell next spring after I plant mine. There was a lot of people wanting them shipped but the cost wouldn't be feasible with the shipping. I'm going to do it again next year but will do a lot more. I plan on doing Chinese chestnuts as well and maybe some persimmon. Do to the numerous people that asked about shipping assuming I have plenty to sell next year, I'm going to setup a paypal account and bring the trees personally to a central location in Columbus, probably near cabelas at Polaris. The date will be set and there will probably be a 3 or 4 hour time frame to meet well in advance. Of course if someone is wanting to come south and pick them up and not pre-pay, that will be fine. I will probably also sell the stratified nuts if someone wants to plant them theirselves. These can be shipped easily and cheap I'm sure. Thanks everyone who showed interest. If anyone has any questions you can give me a call at 740-649-6692 as I'm not on here much.

themedic

OHIO
I've got a yard full of Chinese chestnuts if anyone wants some. I've already picked up over 200 and have them in the fridge to plant in the spring. I'm in Bremen Ohio.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I would be interested in the seeds of the chestnuts and persimoms ready to plant in the spring.

whitetail_joe

I'm going to be selling Dunstan chestnut trees again this year. I'm going to also be selling the stratified nuts with a taproot. The nuts will be $2.50 each. Last year a lot of people were interested in shipping the trees which wasn't cost feasible by any means. The nuts should be able to be shipped cheap. But if you are wanting them, you need to get ahold of me asap as they are starting to grow taproots now. All you will have to do is put the nut with taproot pointed down in dirt and cover with a inch or so of dirt on top and then just grow it. You can get a great start in a red solo cup. This is a cheap way to get a lot of trees.
When I grow them, they will be $10 each in early summer and more in the fall. Chestnuts are highly preferred by deer over acorns. You won't find them cheaper anywhere else. Cheapest I've found for a Dunstan is $18.95 for a 12-18" seedling in Pennsylvania. I can be reached at 740-649-6692 if you have any questions. Ill try to keep up with questions on here as well. thanks.
FYI, I will be in Columbus on Wednesday and have to drop my parents off at the airport around 1pm. I plan on going to cabelas afterward if anyone wants some of the stratified nuts. I would have to meet in the early afternoon as I need to get back south by 5pm.