Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cattle

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Today we moved my cattle from their winter pasture down to the bottom summer pasture. The grown cattle just about knows what to do when I take the electric fence gate down. As they will walk up to the area where the electric fence gate was and stand there for a few minutes then walk through. The damn young calves are the problem as they have been shocked by the 10,000 volt fence they are terrified of it. The calves will follow the mature cattle who walked through then spook out and run back when they get to where the electric fence was.
My son sent down 2 of his workers to act a blockers behind the calves. On the 2nd attempt the calves went through.
I use a 20 ft. wide fenced walk way for about 500 ft long through the brush and trees from pasture to pasture.

Now I got a damn electric short somewhere and I've run out of energy so I'm taking a break to recover. But with all the problems I still enjoy keeping the cattle. No one in the family understand it though.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Done. The possible short in the fence was operator error. Got full current of 10K in the fence. The cattle are in high heaven for the next 6-7 months then back up top for their winter pasture. Simple care just check the electric fence couple times per week and water them couple times per week.
The cattle are grass fed only with no grain fed. It takes 6-8 months longer that was but they are 100% organic. My old cow is 16-18 yrs. old and drops a good calve every year and is pure bred Polled Herford. My bull and younger 4 yr. old cow are 50% Polled Herford and 50% Scothishhighland. The Scothishhighland bred is what is called a Old World bred of animal that hasn't been high bred into a meat animal. The Scotishhighland stores it's fat on the outside of the meat tissue just like a wild deer, elk, or bufflo. It's a great low fat marble meat and the whole family likes it that way.
My 2 calves this year out of each cow of a heifer and bull I'm hoping will be of a smaller bred so I plan to bred those two for a smaller future bred animal.
Going to look at a 2 yr. old red Angus heifer that my neighbor has to replace my older cow.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Done. The possible short in the fence was operator error. Got full current of 10K in the fence. The cattle are in high heaven for the next 6-7 months then back up top for their winter pasture. Simple care just check the electric fence couple times per week and water them couple times per week.
The cattle are grass fed only with no grain fed. It takes 6-8 months longer that was but they are 100% organic. My old cow is 16-18 yrs. old and drops a good calve every year and is pure bred Polled Herford. My bull and younger 4 yr. old cow are 50% Polled Herford and 50% Scothishhighland. The Scothishhighland bred is what is called a Old World bred of animal that hasn't been high bred into a meat animal. The Scotishhighland stores it's fat on the outside of the meat tissue just like a wild deer, elk, or bufflo. It's a great low fat marble meat and the whole family likes it that way.
My 2 calves this year out of each cow of a heifer and bull I'm hoping will be of a smaller bred so I plan to bred those two for a smaller future bred animal.
Going to look at a 2 yr. old red Angus heifer that my neighbor has to replace my older cow.

They sound delicious. :smiley_bril:

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Today we moved my cattle from their winter pasture down to the bottom summer pasture. The grown cattle just about knows what to do when I take the electric fence gate down. As they will walk up to the area where the electric fence gate was and stand there for a few minutes then walk through. The damn young calves are the problem as they have been shocked by the 10,000 volt fence they are terrified of it. The calves will follow the mature cattle who walked through then spook out and run back when they get to where the electric fence was.
My son sent down 2 of his workers to act a blockers behind the calves. On the 2nd attempt the calves went through.
I use a 20 ft. wide fenced walk way for about 500 ft long through the brush and trees from pasture to pasture.

Now I got a damn electric short somewhere and I've run out of energy so I'm taking a break to recover. But with all the problems I still enjoy keeping the cattle. No one in the family understand it though.

Its hard to beat home raised beef. I understand yea its a enjoyabled headache lol. I try and feed a couple hogs out every year and I enjoy watching them grow and better yet the pork chops on the grill.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Tonight I went and checked on them. It's nice to just set there and watch the cattle graze and watch the calves run aroundand just eat and play. Very relaxing.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I went down and checked the cattle today and they were running around like a scared rabbit. The coyotes where howling down there last night and that might have stirred they up. All was OK and they finally calmed down. The electric fence check 100%. I got the grand daughters wedding tomorrow so I won't be around much.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Went down to freshen up the water and I have no electric fence power past my entrance gate. A damn tree limp fell down and wiped the fence out. Just lucky the cattle were happy and content as they could have just walked away. The cattle were calm and content today and not crazy like on Friday.