Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thoughts for Sunday

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
So I may be able to get out for one last day Sunday. If I do I have three options.
1. Go where I have went all season, and earlier only saw hens and never heard any gobbling. Pros - just over an hour away, I know the land and about 150 acres. Cons- don't know if they are talking any more than earlier in the season. Once I wander that farm no other places to hunt that I know at all nearby.

2. Wander through Delaware wildlife area trying to find turkeys. Lots of area and have hunted parts of it before but never for turkeys. I have no idea how busy it will be our even where to start. Advantage is how close to home it is.

3. Drive 2+ (almost 3) hours where I can hunt my family's property (50+ acre) where birds are usually at and have been vocal in the past. Once done there, I am a short drive to Egypt valley wildlife area which I know well and have seen lots of turkeys on to potentially run and gun. Disadvantage is the drive there and back.

4 stay home and have tag soup

rsmith

So I may be able to get out for one last day Sunday. If I do I have three options.
1. Go where I have went all season, and earlier only saw hens and never heard any gobbling. Pros - just over an hour away, I know the land and about 150 acres. Cons- don't know if they are talking any more than earlier in the season. Once I wander that farm no other places to hunt that I know at all nearby.

2. Wander through Delaware wildlife area trying to find turkeys. Lots of area and have hunted parts of it before but never for turkeys. I have no idea how busy it will be our even where to start. Advantage is how close to home it is.

3. Drive 2+ (almost 3) hours where I can hunt my family's property (50+ acre) where birds are usually at and have been vocal in the past. Once done there, I am a short drive to Egypt valley wildlife area which I know well and have seen lots of turkeys on to potentially run and gun. Disadvantage is the drive there and back.

4 stay home and have tag soup

I like option 3, go where you know the birds have been and try and get out there. If no luck head over to Egypt WA and try your luck there. The drive may be worth it? Can't kill them from the couch. Also I have seen the most activity where I hunt on days where it is either going to rain or it is a light sprinkle and warmer weather. Don't know about the weather where you will be hunting but we are suppose to get some rain and weather in the low 80's on Sunday, where I am at and if I knew I wanted to get a bird I would be out on that day for sure. Either way best of luck to you on what you do, expect the unexpected.

Last edited:
Option 2 sounds like the best bet to me (depends on how far you define as close). At least than you can say you made a valiant attempt but didn't have to spend $50+ dollars in gas to just come back empty handed.

Unless your heart is bound determined to get a turkey then Option 3 but I would be apt to say that your odds of laying success on one day are significantly low.

I personally have shot a few birds on the first day and a few on the last but the reality is have come to learn that with everyday you can manage to get out you increase your odds significantly until pushing the end of season then your odds decrease due to limitations on time. The distribution of success I would define similar to the "Bell Curve"