Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

back at it. 45-70 or 44mag

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Ok which ones do folks have, and does it really matter. I am back in the search for one of these, and really wanna pull the trigger, no pun intended.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Hand gun hunting is a fun change. Its such a treat to have both hands warm until needed. I just use my bow stands the shorter range of a 44 is never missed.

Its more of a question of which gun do you want first... Eventually, you'll probably end up with both. lol
Keep us posted and enjoy the journey!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
45-70 seems too pretty popular. My buddy has the Marlin and loves it.....

ughhh yea I just hate being like everyone else but that gun just seems so popular!

Its like with bows I bought a Mathews, everyone has one, so I went and bought a PRIME Alloy! I love it!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
ughhh yea I just hate being like everyone else but that gun just seems so popular!

Its like with bows I bought a Mathews, everyone has one, so I went and bought a PRIME Alloy! I love it!

It's a caliber not a gun, plenty of gun manufactures too fit your bill.... Lever, Bolt or single shot..... Take your pick....

at1010

*Supporting Member*
It's a caliber not a gun, plenty of gun manufactures too fit your bill.... Lever, Bolt or single shot..... Take your pick....

I have also considered that....... I haven't seen a bolt action tho.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have both the 44 mag and 45-70 in rifles. Taken deer with both and both work just fine. But the 45-70 is the winner all around. Even though I've taken 22 deer with a 44 mag pistol and couple with a 44 mag rifle I feel the 45-70 just does it better. But just remember you can't over kill a deer and dead is just dead.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I have both the 44 mag and 45-70 in rifles. Taken deer with both and both work just fine. But the 45-70 is the winner all around. Even though I've taken 22 deer with a 44 mag pistol and couple with a 44 mag rifle I feel the 45-70 just does it better. But just remember you can't over kill a deer and dead is just dead.

who makes the bolts?

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Last edited:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have a marlin 44mag. I really like it and am happy with it. Need to order a peep site for it though, or put a scope on it.

Depends on what you want to do with it and your typical range for shots. Another good option if you reload is the .444.

I like the 44 because it's more than adequate and less recoil. I have been using a 20 gauge my whole hunting career so am used to requiring good shot placement.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Every place that sells ammo will probably have 44 mag.
(if your re-loading, it may not matter but if we go through another "shortage", the 444 or 45-70 may disappear first....)

Please don't get me wrong. I love em all.
All are deer killers. I'm just throwing out another consideration. Ammo supply.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Every place that sells ammo will probably have 44 mag.
(if your re-loading, it may not matter but if we go through another "shortage", the 444 or 45-70 may disappear first....)

Please don't get me wrong. I love em all.
All are deer killers. I'm just throwing out another consideration. Ammo supply.

Totally agree. 44 mag is available anywhere, 45-70 about sometimes, 444 is a tough one to find it at all.
Since I reload and cast my own lead bullets it doesn't matter.

But on the other hand just buy a box of 20. Use 18 to sight in, kill a deer with 1, and have a extra round for backup.

Last edited:

antiqucycle

East Ohio
My choice is a Trip 4's marlin more than twice the umph of a 44 mag Very easy to reload. I also have a 45/70 Trapdoor, great buffalo gun but Custer and the Boys did not do so well against Sitting Bull at the Little Big Horn.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Frankly Scarlet, I have both and know you don't give a dayum! :smiley_bril: I have a H & & single shot in 45070 and a Marlin in 44 mag. I feel both if the bullet is placed in the "right" place will do the job. As to which, a personal preference. Of course you could be like me and buy both calibers. :pickle:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
It really comes down to a few things.

What type of hunting and types of shots do you typically see? A 45-70 or 444 is going to carry more energy farther downrange than a 44mag and have a better trajectory for doing so. However, a nice lightweight lever action might be just the ticket for hunting the hills and super thick areas of SE Ohio.

Do you reload? Ammo availability as discussed above is quite variable between the rounds.

Budget?

What type of gun calls to you? I personally love the looks of my Marlin and prefer it over the looks of the Ruger 77/44 bolt action but the historical cool factor of a rolling block 45-70 is neat also.

Is this only for you? Because I chose 44 mag because I have a pistol in the same caliber and because I can load it with 44 specials and it will be the first gun my son carries deer hunting (more than likely). It doesn't have much in the way of recoil. My friend's Marlin in 45-70 while not a hard recoiling gun is definitely harder than the 44. I haven't shot a 444 so I don't know where it falls. Also the weight of the gun will have some factor in this as well.

All of them will get the job done, just how do you want to do the job?

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Hand gun hunting is a fun change. Its such a treat to have both hands warm until needed. I just use my bow stands the shorter range of a 44 is never missed.

Its more of a question of which gun do you want first... Eventually, you'll probably end up with both. lol
Keep us posted and enjoy the journey!

Guess I thought the 44 option was hand gun.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I was fortunate enough to win a Henry 45-70 this winter in a gun raffle. I haven't shot it yet or even bought ammo for it yet. However, I did shoot my Marlin .444 this past season. I shot around 50 rounds with it and I was very pleased with its performance. Hornady 265 gr. were giving me 1"-2" groups out at 130-200 yards. It helped having a 6X18 Leupold Var XIII on top of it TOO.
I am shopping around for a .44 Marlin as well. It never hurts to increase your arsenal.

RSturdi

Forget the marlin rifles there a crap shoot if you buy one. Bad quality all the way around. Buy the browning BLR in 450marlin. I'm shooting 7/8" groups at 100yrds using reloader 7 and the hornady 300grn HP bullet. Its just a better gun. If you reload you will have all kinds of options from pointed bullets to round noses.