Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Different tractor

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I been looking for a tractor with a frontend loader. So got serious this week and going to look a MF 230 diesel in the morning. It's a 1980-81 model with less than 500 hrs. Pictures look good and the info from the seller sounds OK.
If I get this tractor loader I will put my Ford 420 light industrial tractor up for sale to help cover the expenses.
A front loader will make my life a lot easier with feeding hay to the cattle.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Those old MFs are tough to beat. And a front end loader is handy as hell. Looking forward to the pics!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I looked a the MF 230 tractor today and everything turned out OK with 487 hrs. Got it for my reduced price. Hopefully pick it up Monday.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I bought a 2000 MF 271 65HP tractor today with front end loader. Be delivered in the morning.
I had to pass on the MF 230 tractor I looked at Saturday. It had a factory MF front end loader and they put the damn hydrolic control levers between your legs on the main center transmission hump. It was like they designed the tractor and -opps- we need to add the levers. I had to set on the seat and then take my hands and lift my right leg across the levers. That just wasn't going to work.
The MF 271 is a larger tractor and the seat is above the center drive shaft tunnel so the foot platform is flat.
This is going to work out great.

Any one looking for a 51 HP mid-size Ford 420 tractor? I bought it in 2002 and in 2001 it had a new Ford factory diesel engine installed and the entire tractor gone through. I put on new rear tires. Great tractor but I just needed a front end loader. I only used the tractor to haul hay home then once per month to move 4 bales. So about 20 hrs. per year. The last 2 yrs. I used it to put in 2-3 ac. food plot.
4000.00 and I'll throw in most of a Ford front end loader as I never could find the pump and jack shaft to hook it up.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The tractor was delivered today and this is going to be a great addition to the farm equipment. I plan use the front end loader tomorrow moving some landscaping dirt for around the new concrete driveway.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I tried it out today on the downed ceder trees. Didn't quite work out as I was hoping as a tractor with a front end loader is not a bulldozer. LOL
I'll need one of the boys to hook the chain up to pull the downed trees out completely of the ground. Then it started raining so all bets were off.
Overall it ran great and the front end loader is going to come in handy. Need to pick up a bucket mounted round hay bale spear before winter hay feeding time.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I gave the new tractor a try out today. I dug up 2 bucket loads of good top soil and the wife and I started back filling in around the new concrete driveway. It worked great.
Never used a front end loader before to dig with but I'm getting a hang of it. I have a top soil pile left when I built the pole barn. I've had several kind people who wanted to help me out and haul the pile away but I always said no as they aren't make dirt anymore. It's not in the way and comes in handy. And not one of these kind guys ever offered to pay for the dirt. One guy even said that wasn't very neighborly and what the hell I don't like the guy anyway.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I hauled another 2 bucket loads of top soil today. I'm getting a hang of digging with the loader as now I 3/4 full buckets of dirt instead of 1/2 full.
May do couple more loads tomorrow after I move my cattle to summer pasture.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
We went many years before getting a tractor with a bucket on the front. Looking back, I wonder how I ever got along without one.
Enjoy the new equipment!

Buckmaster

Portage
Figured I'd follow suit in the tractor market.

Gone is Old Blue, A 1969 Ford 2000.

In is Green & Yellow, A 3032E.

Attachments

• 3032E.jpg
    3032E.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 106

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Nice tractor and 4 wheel drive. You'll find the front loader is handy. Congrats.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I decided to roto till 1/2 ac. plot to plant before the rain. I'll be damn the power take off shaft is too short for my bigger tractor. Now I have 4 different power take off shafts and I'll be damn if all 4 aren't different and nothing fits together.
I was so hot and sweaty by the time I got everything tore apart I decided to rest a bit before going to Rural King to see if I can get just a longer shaft without buying a whole 150.00 complete unit.
Now it's raining cats and dogs, just coming down in sheets. So no rush as there will be no tilling this week.

Well the heavy rain lasted 10 minutes and now we have a blue sky.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Are your PTO shafts not telescopic? They don't slide in and out to adjust for different lengths?

Yes but my MF 271 65 HP tractor is much large than my Ford 420 was. The 3 pt. arms are alot longer which puts the tiller further back and out of reach.
I'll go to Rural King and see about the King Kutter shaft. If need be I'll buy another shaft and just use the front part.

The blue sky didn't last long and we've probably gotten 2.0" of rain already. It rained so hard I had water gushing out of the ends of the down spout tiles about 50 ft. from the house 12" high.