Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Week 1 of retirement

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well it hasn't set in yet that I'm actually retired yet.... Lots of deployments with time off afterwards for decompression gives you a taste all too often of what you're looking at in retirement so as of now it's like vacation time away from work. It'll take some time for it too work it's way in lol..... Got too do some chores around the house and started walking 2-3 miles a day with the dog and feel really good afterwards. I'm giving up the running part of my life for now as I'm nursing a sore knee and a pulled ham string that just doesn't want too heal as fast as times in the past lol..... Knee and ham string feel good walking so I'll just stick too that for now, who knows maybe later on the bug will bite me and I'll start the running again..... Then again maybe not lol......

For now I'm the house husband I always wanted too be, wake up drink coffee walk and chores around the house with some side trips for visiting and picking up some reloading supplies now and then..... Been doing some upgrades too the boat trailer that I've been wanting too do, new trailer jack, safety cables and added the plastic conduit for the plug too make it look a little more tidy. Added new LED brake and light bar for the rear of the trailer and I gotta say they look a whole lot better and brighter and if someone rear ends me it won't be for them not being bright enough.... Those things are 10X brighter then the old bulb style that were original since I bought the boat in 03..... Damn, I've had this thing for 12 years lol..... Damn, time is flying lol.....

Got too spend some time with Geezer yesterday and that was a good morning, he's definitely a good man too sit and chew the fat with....

Going too help a buddy move a gun cabinet Saturday and hopefully will be getting the boat out on the river with my fishing buddy and get the old Triton up and running and blowing the cob webs out of her since she's been sitting idle for the last 18 months..... It'll be good too get back out on the river and do some small mouth fishing, really have missed that part of life.....

Tuesday I'm doing a culvert project at the hunt club I belong too as we'll be replacing one that has collapsed so that will be an all morning affair, gotta get those volunteer hours in lol.....

Well, hope I didn't bore you all with this but figured I'd sit down and type some stuff up for an update. I plan on doing this from time too time so hopefully I won't be too annoying...... :smiley_coolpeace:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Damn you are busy. At least your not just sitting and feeling sorry for yourself. Doesn't it seem that you might wonder with everything going on now how you even had to time to work a regular job in the past?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Damn you are busy. At least your not just sitting and feeling sorry for yourself. Doesn't it seem that you might wonder with everything going on now how you even had to time to work a regular job in the past?

Frank, I was out back drinking coffee this morning enjoying the fresh air and told myself too pace yourself and not tey too do too much at once.... Pick a project and follow it through too the end, even if it's just washing windows lmao.....

Reactions: Stressless

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Any plans to get a civilian job J?

Ben, plan on taking the summer off and re-evaluate the whole part time thing afterwards.... Most of the guys who I know that are retired are doing something part time and fishing/hunting the rest of it. Once the checks start rolling in and I get my budget worked up I'll take a look at it.... Are you hiring??? lol..... I know what the retirement check should but dealing with OPM and Air Force is a chore in its self, so once the dust settles (Hopefully by August) I'll go from there.... In the meantime I wake up with the wife and kiss her goodbye as she's leaving for work..... :smiley_clap: She just gives me that look of "you SOB" lmao...... A look I'm all too familiar with over the last 31 years lol..... She's more ready too retire then I am lol..... Too bad she's got 8 more years too go.....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If you got all your ducks in a row let the wife retire now and enjoy what life span you have let. We don't get a 2nd time around at this life thing so enjoy it will you can.
My wife retired at 58 with no real income until 62 but we had our ducks in a roll early. No debts, no real worries and wouldn't have it any other way.

Reactions: Stressless
I retired in 1995 at the age of 44. I didn't want to but my doctor told me due to physical issues I had no choice. My wife of only three years was there when my doctor said" Do what you can, while you can". Believe me, I've pushed myself to do just that for the last 19 years. My wife worked until February of 2014 and never had an issue with things.

Frank is right, we only go around once so enjoy every moment you can. My advice is to learn to enjoy doing things on your own. By the time you wait for a buddy to have time to do things with you a lot of your time will have slipped away. I find myself doing most things by myself.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Dick, I'm lucky enough too have a wide variety of friends that are always up too something lol...

The wife is planning on leaving her current position here this summer and her and I are hitting the road for a while... Once late fall rolls around she'll look for something else... She's too stressed at her current place of employment as they've had a complete turn over since she started a couple years ago.... She's the senior person in seniority after a little over 2 years so she's had her fill of the place.... Can't blame her, and she's the type that can't close it off after she leaves.... Unlike me lol....

Keep on keeping on J! My dad retired about 17 years ago and ended up getting a job a Lowes in Athens, somewhat to pay the bills but also to keep him busy. He has said that keeping busy is what's keeping him going even when he isn't feeling good or has a cold. Still would like to see him enjoy things more at home but then again sitting around putzing with things isn't for everyone.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am with Dan. Enjoy it. Keep us posted. I will use it as motivation on the tough days to keep on plugging.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well it's only Wednesday and I'm sore and tired lol.....

Monday took my MIL too an appointment that took half the day and cut grass and some housework

Tuesday dug by hand a 40' trench 30" wide and 2' deep for laying a culvert in a drainage swale that's been backing up water for a while, laid a bunch of limestone and set the culvert and then backfilled it afterwards........ Started at 8:00 and finished at 3:00 with another 80-100' left too do. The three of us (with me being the youngest) decided that a backhoe is required rotflmao This morning only reiterated that thought process :smiley_brancard: :smiley_clap:

Sitting on the couch last night I was thinking what do I have too do Wednesday???? Well I came too the conclusion not a damn thing.... SO I slept in a little had a couple of cups of coffee and hooked up the boat and went too lake Berlin..... Couldn't have picked a more miserable day too do it but what the heck..... 45 degrees and 15 MPH winds from the west wit a few whitecaps around off I went.... Backed it into the water tied it off too a dock parked the truck and idled out too the main lake and outta the no wake zone..... Put the boat up on plane and took it easy for a few laps only pulling 3K RPM and opened her up for about a 1/4 mile and then ran her around 5K RPM and did a few more laps..... Idled her down checked out the bilge pump and it was working and then onto the livewell fill and recerc pumps and they all worked as well.... So far so good..... Sat down buckled the lifevest too the kill switch and off I went.... Didn't run her hard but gave her a workout and had her too 68 MPH and still had pedal and trim left too go but for her first run in over 18 months I'll take it..... Fished for about an hour but after running for a half hour I was kinda under dressed and chilled too the bone so called it quits and put her on the trailer and a quick wipe down and back in the driveway (still hooked too the truck) thinking about a repeat tomorrow and maybe the river if conditions are good......

The truck hauled just fine and actually being a tad bit smaller motor then my Z71 (which I was a little worried about that) it pulled better than it did, went up the hills pretty good with no laboring involved and pulled the boat outta the water like a champ.... Very pleased with that Toyota so far..... That 4.7 has some guts too it and I averaged 19 MPG on the last tank..... The true test will be Saturday as a few buddies and I are heading too Erie for some small mouth action..... Really looking forward too that..... Weathers not looking the greatest but we can stay inside the break walls if it gets whipped up..... We're hearing good reports of the big ones moving in for pre spawn..... It'll be all catch and release so it'll be a blast.....

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Guess what I was up too today.....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431825048.777672.jpg
My buddy Greg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431825092.597229.jpg

My buddy Shawn.....ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431825190.561646.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431825218.457649.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431825236.858737.jpg