Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gas line tillng?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I am going to till a small area up near a road. I noticed one of those yellow gas line markers is there, can I till near this? How deep are those lines?

Huckleberry Finn

Call 811...48 hrs prior to it, they will come out to mark the specific lines and may be able to tell you the depth.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't want to hit gas or electric line for.safety reasons. Don't want to hit fiber optic lines for financial reasons. You will pay dearly for one of those.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Ok thank see I never even heard of 811. I'll give that a shot next week.

Even if they mark it you need too be really cautious while tilling.... Start high and work your way down too the depth you're looking for....

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Call 811 . The utilities in conflict with contact you . If you hafta till across a gas line they'll usually work with you and a representative for the gas company usually has to be onsite while excavating inside the ROW .

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
If it is a transmission line they have a 50' right of way. 25' perpendicular to the pipe both directions. If you put anything in there they have the right to come in and take it out.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If it is a transmission line they have a 50' right of way. 25' perpendicular to the pipe both directions. If you put anything in there they have the right to come in and take it out.

Well not really. I have 2 big gas pipe lines across the front of my farm. I'm permitted to farm it, pasture it, do anything I wish that is normal use. Only thing I can't do without permission is install a driveway. Only thing I'm not permitted to do is plant any deep rooted trees on the right of way.

But I would check first.

Last edited:

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
You can usually install a driveway , but it has to not contain rebar or mesh inside the ROW, and it has to be saw cut into 4' squares so it can be moved off the line in the event of a emergency . Plannting trees or building structures inside the ROW is not allowed . When tilling its preferred for ya to go under the line . But thats not awlways possible so usually ya can tile above as long as paperwork is signed releasing the gas company from liability if they hafta dig thru . We always try to fix any tiles we dig thru tho . Other utilities crossing where grade isn't important usually hafta go under unless the gas line is really deep

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not all RWs are 50'. Not all are exclusive. Very few (pre recent boom) have any sort of details specified in the agreement regarding landowner use. The one certainty with RWs is there are no hard lined certainties.

We are able to make depths on our lines, see if they can/will do that for you. I'd get a copy of the RW form too. I'd be happy to review it and give you a run down of the specs.