Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mind helping out a non-resident currently hunting in Ohio?

th88

I know this taboo to some turkey hunters, but I'm about desperate! I arrived in Ohio two days ago and have yet to hear a gobble. I started off at Wayne NF in Lawrence County. Covered a dozen miles of ridges and found old sign,a little new sign, but nothing to get me excited. I decided to head an hour north to Zaleski Forest. I've been here a day and a Half now with no luck. Once again, Old scratching , a bit of new scratching, and a few tracks. I've walked over a dozen miles of ridge tops here as well. I'm honestly about speechless that I havent heard or even saw a bird. I travel all over the US hunting and have never had a problem finding turkey.

So here's my plea for help... I'm thinking about leaving Zaleski and heading to Washington County to hunt Wayne NF. I know the county kill numbers are a lot better over there. Do you think Ill have a problem finding birds?

If anyone wants to shoot me a PM giving me some info where I can get on some birds, Itd be much appreciated. I have hunted a lot of states and can maybe return the favor somehow.

I'm willing to travel how ever far it takes to get on some birds! I have 3 full days of hunting left after today And then a 14 hour drive back home.

Much thanks!

JMHO I'd head to the WNF in Vinton County. Much less pressure, off the beaten path and in years past held a lot of turkeys. We had family that used to hunt it more than their own property back in the day. Not much further south than Zaleski.

Welcome BTW

th88

JMHO I'd head to the WNF in Vinton County. Much less pressure, off the beaten path and in years past held a lot of turkeys. We had family that used to hunt it more than their own property back in the day. Not much further south than Zaleski.

Welcome BTW

Thanks! Beautiful woods here, can't believe I haven't found birds!

Just finishing up a ~9 mile loop through the turkey management zone on Zaleski... less sign in there than I've FouND at the other spots! can't believe it...

And do you mean the WNF north of Zaleski? I don't see much south.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Statistically more birds are taken north of where you are hunting. I would consider Salt Fork in Guernsey County or Woodbury in Coshocton County. Personally I think late season is very difficult especially if you are traveling significant distances and don't have the pulse on how the birds are behaving. Nothing worse than getting up at 3 in the morning, driving 2 hours to hunt and not even hearing a single gobble.

I have been told by quite a few locals that Woodbury is worth the drive from my location. I personally have not been there yet but if I did need some public ground to hunt that is probably where I would start. I also know there is quite a bit of AEP ground that is supposed to be good hunting.

Also I per say wouldn't say it is "late season" as of yet some states like Pa just started there season. I have had a lot of success during mid-late May.

Diablo54

Outside
Maybe the area I'm thinking of isn't part of the Wayne now looking at the maps. Just know my uncle and his family/friends always referred to it as the Wayne. Google maps shows a Vinton Furnace Experimental Forest there...

There were several birds there last year. Haven't been there this year.

th88

I ended up finding a pair of birds at Vinton after a lot more scouting! Spent two and a half days on them and finally connected on the smaller of the two (Jake). Just glad to finally hear a little gobbling! Heat wave sure did have them tight lipped after about 7:30 though. never heard a gobble much later than that and hunted til dark every day.

Thanks again for the tip.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Glad you connected. It's been very quite around here in SW Ohio the last 2 weeks. Really different.

th88

I forgot to mention. .. I was amazed by the hospitality I encountered! From the very first day locals were as kindicated as could be and did their best to point in the right direction. Ended up camping at Zaleski most nights with some other incredibly friendly hunters. They also told me where some birds were. One group even invited me to wat with them. Exchanged e mails and numbers with several and plan to keep in contact.

Ohio was the 11th state I've killed a bird in and I've never had such an amazing positive experience with the local residents.

Kudos to you buckeyes, and thanks for making me feel so welcome!;

th88

Glad you connected. It's been very quite around here in SW Ohio the last 2 weeks. Really different.

I take it this is not the norm? Birds were acting like it was about over... I sure thought I'd be hitting prime time this far North. I imaging the unseasonably warm weather had everything to do with it!

I take it this is not the norm? Birds were acting like it was about over... I sure thought I'd be hitting prime time this far North. I imaging the unseasonably warm weather had everything to do with it!

Reports from PA and NY from friends say it has been terrible as of late. I am going to blame it on the somewhat early spring and the significant increase in temperatures as of late. Gotta remember turkeys don't know days or months so I am assuming things like weather have a large influence on their actions.