Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

It ended today

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well after 35 years of being in the Air Force and working for the Dept of the Air Force I officially retired today. May 4 marks my 56 birthday and the end of a long career which started in 1980. I got off of active duty and joined the Reserves the next day, that led too a Air Reserve Technicians job and lots of travel and friends in between......

Saturday May 2 I said farewell too all my co-workers in a retirement ceremony of my piers, and it was one heck of a send off that few here would understand, For anyone who's served and have attended a ceremony it's something too enjoy. But standing up on the stage and hearing all the nice things said by a lot of quality people who I've had the pleasure of serving next too was something I hope you all could experience.

The toughest part of the whole night is when I was given the stage too make my final comments and thanking all who past and present who have helped me and in some cases gave me a swift kick in the ass too get me through these 35 years...... But looking at my wife and daughter who I had saved for the last, trying too thank them for all that they have endured over the years of my absence was one of the toughest things I've faced as an adult.... How do you put into words the thanks and the apologies for being there when I wasn't? The birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas's and everything in between. I was in Panama when my son started walking and he thought another man was his father that was standing in line at a grocery store..... My daughter went through some very tough times that my wife had too deal with and me deployed to the gulf...... And a myriad of nit picking things that families go through that normally aren't a big deal but when you're gone for months at a time make a big deal when you call home.... I just listened and let her vent most times as I was the only ear she could do it too.... Well too say it was tough up on that stage was an understatement..... I choked up and had too take a minute too gain composure..... But I did it and with both my wife and daughter (and half the audience) in tears I hugged them both...... I never realized how emotional it would be, but it was one tough time that's for sure.... My son (currently active duty AF) experienced some of what I went through as he couldn't get leave too come home too be part of the celebration, wasn't happy that he missed it and he was bummed but he knows I know how it goes.....

So I want too put a big thank you out too all who have wished me a happy birthday and wishing me well in my retirement and know that I appreciate every last word of it.......

Big Weff

Athens
Thank you for your service j. Also with retirement and a birthday in the same week I hope you get to party hardy and enjoy some much deserved family time. Happy birthday\retirement!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430776232.339767.jpg

This is the shadow box which shows a career, my buddy (who's taking my position) arraigned all the memorabilia in it.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430776351.567614.jpg

Troy, who made the box up, presenting it too me....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430776406.688979.jpg

My wife (Andrea) accepting the roses

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430776452.827811.jpg

My boss on the right making the presentation of the meritorious service medal

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430776557.367183.jpg

Two of my troops who have gone on too their commissioning and one is a LT and one is leaving this summer for his commissioning..... Very proud of both of them... Two fine young men there....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430776661.793163.jpg

My buddy Rick, who's retired and came up from NC for the ceremony.... He said it was worth the trip too get his licks in while I had too be quite lmao....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430776757.368062.jpg

Apparently people have a varying opinion on what I drink lmao.... But it'll get out too use by the fire pit this summer lol.....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I graduations buddy. Thank you for your service and now you're off to enjoy being a PFC.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Happy birthday J, and thank you again for all of your commitments to serving this great country. I'm not sure you know what to expect tomorrow morning upon waking, but I hope it is all you wished for. You're a free man with a wide open schedule (hypothetically speaking of course)...live life to it's fullest buddy!!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Congratulations J and thank you for your service! You are a fine man and I respect the hell out of you.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Hellofuva job J. I feel honor to have met you, shuck your hand, and stuck you with an over/under 410. Thank you for your service to our country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!