Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fishing near Steubenville Ohio?

Ohio1001

I recently moved to the Steubenville Ohio area and I'm wondering where the best place to fish bass is around me. I've been to Friendship Park Lake before and had no luck. I don't know if that place isn't great to fish or if they weren't biting or what. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated also. Thank you.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Welcome too the site, we have a section that you can introduce yourself and tell folks a little about yourself..........

Fishing around Steubenville? You have a great smallmouth bass fishery just too the east.... THE OHIO RIVER..... It's the best small mouth fishery within 50 miles of your location. Cotty (a longtime member fishes your area periodically and can fill you in if you're bank fishing. But basically anywhere you find an eddy you'll find small mouth... Shoals on the river are another great spot too fish as well.... Feeder creeks also.....

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Welcome to the Ohio Valley! J nailed it when it comes to small mouth. Hit the river.

Large mouth? There's lots of old strip ponds around that blow the bigger lakes away. Check out some of the ponds around the Fernwood State Forest area. Take a pole and gear back beaver dam trail and there's a nice bass pond a pretty good ways out.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
A great shoreline smallie spot in the river is off the Costonia exit off rt 7 between Steubenville and Toronto. Park by the railroad tracks and head down the quad trail. Nice sand bar heads out into the river and there's a tributary right there. We've caught some good ones there.