Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

This Old Beam

badger

*Supporting Member*
Thirty plus years ago a fur buyer in Colombia Station Ohio told a skinny zit faced kid to quit bringing him wet coon, rats, etc on the carcass. He told that kid to learn how to skin, flesh, and put up hides. He also sent that kid out of his place with an old home made fleshing beam. That beam took a ride in the front seat of a late 70's Pontiac Grand Prix.

Since that day, that beam has moved around from place to place and taken many rides. It's been a security blanket so to speak for me over the years. It's never argued with me, never not been there for me and let me treat it however I wanted.

Tonight I fleshed my last hides on that beam. I had the radio blasting and a cold one close at all times. I cried thinking about memories associated with trapping, family, and that beam. I've spent countless hours hovered over it in good moods and bad moods. I've contemplated major decisions and stupid shit while coon fat rolled off her. I taught a young man how to flesh on that beam. I always had visions of his fur shed with that beam tucked in the corner.

Tomorrow a young lady who went to school with our son becomes the new owner of that old beam. I'm going to suggest she makes a new base for it, but otherwise it's good to go and ready for another thirty years or so.

Love you Zach!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's really cool, Dale. If only that beam could talk. I'm sure it could share with us for hours and hours the stories and memories it's collected through the years. I know it's not getting passed on exactly the way you had always imagined it would but I'm glad to hear you are passing it on anyway. I'm certain that young lady will treat the ol beam well for many more years to come. Thanks for sharing brother.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Very touching Dale.
If possible, sign and date it for history's sake. Something like that could go for generations.
Your story above should be copied and passed along too.

Last edited:

badger

*Supporting Member*
Thank you everyone for the kind comments. Most people would look at that beam, hear the story and still not understand.

CJD3, that's your yote, and one of those beaver goes to Milo. Going to try and get them sent off to Moyles in the next week or two.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Thank you everyone for the kind comments. Most people would look at that beam, hear the story and still not understand.

CJD3, that's your yote, and one of those beaver goes to Milo. Going to try and get them sent off to Moyles in the next week or two.

You honor me Dale. Thank you.
Very Cool! :smiley_bril:

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
One of the coolest things i have read and seen since i have been a member here. Took me back a few years myself. Thanks for showing and telling about it!!!