Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Popped one

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
4/29/15-The morning started out cold and crisp, as I stepped out of the truck a gobble rang out. It was 6:00 AM. As I made my way up the hill to get on the same ridge as the tom he continued to hammer away on the roost every 30 seconds or so. I sat up on him about 150-200 yards away up the ridge from him. I put out an inflatable hen with a Montana full stut tom.

I heard him fly down and all was quiet for about 5 minutes. I heard a hen yelping and he answered. I called softly letting some purrs and soft clucks try to tempt him into range. I saw him pop into sight about 60 yards away, full strut spitting and drumming. He never saw the decoys and after putting on a show for a few minutes to wander away from me. I didn’t feel I should attempt the 60 yard shot through the timber.

I heard a few other gobbles getting closer behind me so I decided to sneak out and set up on these birds. The result was another close call spotting a nice tom about 70 yards out but wouldn’t come down to me off the logging road.

Frustrated I didn’t set up closer to the first tom and not hearing any gobbles for the last 30 minutes I slowly made my way back to where I had started walking in. When I was about to call it a day and go hunt some mushrooms with the old man, I heard a lone gobble from the bird I had on the roost at first light. I decided to head back in on him, but this time set up a couple hundred yards from where I had previously set up. I probably sat there for 10 minutes, thinking I was hearing him drumming, I gave out some purrs and clucks. Bam, he gobbled and he was close. Another couple calls and I saw his tail fan coming up the hill.

15 Yards 8:40 AM 19 pounds 9 inch beard 1 inch spurs

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Good job man ! I killed a similar bird yesterday also , Had a 10" beard and 1" spurs
. Poor bastard pitched out of the tree and landed 30 yds from me . End result, dead bird but less exciting hunt . Congratulations again .