Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cultipacker

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I finally found a cultipacker in Craigslist. It's a different style instead of having pointed wheels it has sideway metal slates. It's 6'-9" ft. wide and it must be 70-80 yrs old but still useable. The owner sorta ticked me off as the for sale picture had 10 concrete blocks on it but when I get there he tells me the block aren't his. Easy fix but still pissed me off. But at the 200.00 price I'm OK with it. Going to be a good addition to my food plot equipment.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
You won't need those concrete blocks. He did you a favor. That's a good one. Does it have oak bearings?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
No it's what they all had back in the day. Grease the ever living crap out of them. I'd get some PB blaster on the outer Hun bolts so you can get in there.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'd love to see a pic. For the life of me I can't picture what these "sideway metal slates" are all about.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
image.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Cool. So do the "teeth" on each wheel fit between the teeth of the adjacent wheel? Like the teeth are staggered?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Frank if that doesn't work out it would be easily convert able to regular wheels I bet. Measure the diameter of the shaft. That frame is where the money is at.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Frank if that doesn't work out it would be easily convert able to regular wheels I bet. Measure the diameter of the shaft. That frame is where the money is at.

I can't see why it won't work fine as the purpose is to firm down the ground surface. Instead of ground grooves running the direction you drive the ground grooves will just be sideways. If I don't like the looks of the cultipacked ground only being 50% done I may just go across it the other way but I think it will be OK.
Those steel slates are 'T' steel with the 'T' on the inside for support so they don't bend. I'll need to put a new tongue shaft on it for support and I have that steel angle iron laying here. I have some flat creek rocks for weight to try then probably just pick up 10 cider blocks that I got cheated out of but that was my fault. LOL
The guy said it was his grangda's. The tongue laid on the ground so long it just rotted off. I'll look at the wood bearings to see if I need to replace but they look OK. I only need to use it for less that 3 ac. of food plot per year so it'll last me forever I hope. The most use will be going from the 2 different plots that are about 600 yds. apart.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I did a better inspection of the unit. It diffently is a commercial made one. I see part of a model # on the outside wheel but have to wait till I get it off.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I set up at the Lima gunshow over the weekend and I showed the picture to several older farmers I knew. No one ever seen a cultipacker like this one.
Couple guys remembered caged clod busters but not like this one.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I used the cultipacker this week when I planted my turnip, radish, beet food plot. I roto tilled then I ran the cultipacker across and the ground was as smooth as a table top. I seeded then ran the cultipacker across to press the seed in. I'm well satisfied with the results and at 200.00 it was 3 time cheaper than the wheeled models I seen advertised.
The guy who delivered my new tractor 2 weeks ago said he seen that model of cultipacker over 30 yrs. and then it was only one he ever seen.