Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

BIG weekend!!!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Well I can honestly say this weekend was FULL of excitement. I left work early on Friday to head home and get the pup (Maverick). We packed the truck and headed to Zach Kaisers house for the Ohio Valley Hunt Test down at Woodbury Wildlife Area. We introduced the boy (Maverick and Ace) Friday night about 10pm and then it was straight to bed. Saturday morning we woke up, aired the boys out, ran a few drill to stretch them and both were steady as can be while training together, so hopes were high. After running the first land series at the test both boys came a little unglued! To say they were amped up would be an understatement, they were like pure adrenaline junkies looking for a fix. Both dogs performed GREAT and were among the best there. Saturday finished with two passes for both Ace and Mav.

While eating dinner Saturday night we decided to try and roost a turkey for a quick 1 hour hunt in the morning, we had no such luck. With Zach being tagged out I decided to buy a tag anyway just to see what the morning would bring. We hit a great property and never saw or heard a turkey until we were walking out when we jumped a hen. So we ran down the road to where Kaiser killed his birds earlier in the week. He knew there were a couple Jakes still running around on the property so I said lets give it a try. We setup real quick since time was running short and made a few calls, sure enough 300+ yards out we hear a gobble. We sit down and start calling and he gobbles back everytime getting a little closer. 15 seconds later a hen comes running in from behind us and stands 10 yards from Zach and gets all pissed off that we are calling and she cant see us. Once the gobbler hits 125 yards and sees her he comes barrling right in the entire way in full strut. He literally stops in the one opening I have bc Zach and this hen are just going at it calling back and forth 10' apart from each other. I take the shot and the Tom drops! 58 yards, 9 3/4" bird, 7/8" spurs, nice 2 yr old bird. We tag him, snap a pic, run to his house to pack up and grab the dogs then its off to the hunt test for day two.

Day two was a little bit tougher setup but both dogs did great again receiving there ribbons for the day. Ace finishing his Junior title and Mav with his first two passes. Once we got our ribbons I had to beat feet home bc it was my sons 5th Birthday. His party isn't until this weekend but man what an exciting weekend. Def one I will always remember, felt like we were running and gunning the entire time! Thanks again for the hospitality Kaiser and congrats again on that fine young pup of yours title!

Kaiser878

ohio
Was an awesome weekend for sure. You won't find to many that work out as well as this past weekend did. Everything just kinda fell in place....