Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A Quick Hunt.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well i dont have as much time to hunt for myself this yr but will get out several days.
Friday was my first time out by myself and went after work and got set up at 9:30,at 11:30 i called one in and flat out missed him at 25 yds.lol

So saturday morning i work a bird in off the roost about 300 yds and just about to pull the trigger and he spooks and runs off, look to my left and see 2 yotes strolling through the woods.WTH!!
I text my buddy and said Voodoo!! as i was beginning to think maybe Taylors neighbor "The Witch" might have put a voodoo curse on me.lol

So jump to today and i got off work this morning and decided to go to my cousins place and get a short hunt in, i arrived at his place at 9am and got ready and walked back to the same tree where i missed on friday and was ready to hunt at 9:15.
I called soft a few times and then starting cutting on my mouth call, i heard one gobble about 300 yds away on the far end of a picked corn field.
He gobbled about 10 times then got quiet,pretty soon i saw a white head coming around a point that sticks out in the field and thought, here we go.

Pretty soon i realized it was a jake and he came right in and i snapped a couple pics of him as i didnt want to shoot a teenager.lol. I heard the other bird gobble again about 200 yds away now.
The jake hung around and we talked back and forth and all of a sudden a big bird gobbles behind and a little left of me and about made me jump.

I look over my left shoulder and he is chasing the jake around in circles, he must have ran in, crossed the hollow and circled behind me in about 1 minute, finally he stops behind a big tree and i cluck and purr real soft and he double gobbles, when he steps out i see the jake leaving and figure he might follow so i wait till he clears some thick greenbriars and i cluck twice, he raises his head, BOOM!! He drops like a bag of rocks!! The shot was 47 yards.
I walk over and pick him up and he is really nice bird and then i look at my phone and it is 9:30 am.Like the title says A Quick Hunt.

He weighed 22lbs had a 10-3/4 inch beard and 1-1/4 inch spurs.

I use a Primos Tru Triple mouth call and it is pretty much the only call i have used for many years unless i break out my lynch box call, this is the 27th bird that has been killed with this one call and it is getting pretty worn down, i have killed birds using other calls but this one just seems to get them fired up, i actually ordered me a new one online and should have it in a couple days in case i lose or wear this one out completly.

This is my 32nd year working turkeys and it never gets old, now i will have some fun hunting with some friends and one of our youth hunters Josh, also my neice Kara, i may get out a little by myself also.

Today was my neices birthday and one of my friends i have hunted with since he was a little kid had a baby boy today, i think all the stars lined up for me today.lol

Good luck to everyone chasing birds!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1430165474229.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1430165474229.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 114
  • uploadfromtaptalk1430165622495.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1430165622495.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 108
  • uploadfromtaptalk1430165726162.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1430165726162.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 106