Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

what kind of food plot?

rsmith

I have cleared out about a acre of land to plant a food plot in. Last year it was about a half a acre planted but now I cleared all the brush I though would be beneficial and decided I would plant stuff there instead. My original plan was to plant a acre of RR Eagle Seed forage soybeans due to there abundant forage and also mix in corn with it at a 75% beans 25% corn. I am now rethinking about planting a clover, oats, and rye grain plot and maybe overseed with some brassica or PT turnips. I was just wondering what your opinions would be on this and what you would do.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I would go with 1/2 ac. clover top seeded with a cover crop for this year. I look at clover as next years crop.
Then 1/2 ac. of a good forage oats. I use WT Inst. for both of these seeds. Yes they cost a extra dollar but results are better. I get the special prices and free shipping.
These 2 crops have worked wonders the last 2 yrs. on my farm. IMHO

Others will disagree and have their own ideas.

I've been reading Hunting mature bucks by Lee and Tiffany from Crush TV show. Asked if he only could plant one crop- Lee said clover, but it must be whitetail designed clover.

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
What natural food sources do you have in the area? What unnatural food(corn soybeans)?

rsmith

What natural food sources do you have in the area? What unnatural food(corn soybeans)?

The closest ag field is about 1.4 miles away and it is a soybean "field" that is about 4 acres big, thats it. Lots of oak trees, 1 large 35 acre hay field right next to the soybean field, 2 smaller 10 acre hay fields about a mile away and 6 horse pastures about acre big and that's about it. I feed shelled corn year round and that's why I want to maximize a quality food plot so I can draw and hold deer and also provide a quality variety of food.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have 110 acs. of good quality horse hay operation adjoining my farm and with 3.0 ac. food plot I draw 4-5-15 deer each day all winter long to my food plot.
The deer are still feeding everyday now on the newly growing clover and forage oats.
I think give the deer something good and different and the deer will come. Holding deer is more difficult.
Just think of putting a plate of green beans and candy in front of a young kid and watch the results. I noticed the same think with my food plot and deer for the last 2 yrs.

rsmith

I have 110 acs. of good quality horse hay operation adjoining my farm and with 3.0 ac. food plot I draw 4-5-15 deer each day all winter long to my food plot.
The deer are still feeding everyday now on the newly growing clover and forage oats.
I think give the deer something good and different and the deer will come. Holding deer is more difficult.
Just think of putting a plate of green beans and candy in front of a young kid and watch the results. I noticed the same think with my food plot and deer for the last 2 yrs.

That does make a lot of sense, and by hold I mean make them keep coming back for more. If I did soybeans as a cover crop when would you recommend throwing clover into the plot like around August or September area?

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That does make a lot of sense, and by hold I mean make them keep coming back for more. If I did soybeans as a cover crop when would you recommend throwing clover into the plot like around August or September area?

I would say when there's a good likely chance or good rain. Then do a frost seeding of clover early next spring like in March 2016 or even before.