Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pattern to tight at close range???

I bought an H&R Pardner Pump (2) years ago along with a Carlson's Coyote Chock Tube (Ported, Formally Known as the Dead Coyote II). I previously had a H&R Pardner Pump with the original Carlson's Dead Coyote which unfortunately got stolen as it was a turkey slaying machine at 60+ yards putting down 5 for 5 birds and numerous at close range.

The last (2) years I have had my new setup I have been struggling with "miss" shots within 10 yards most at point blank range. I have missed 4 birds in (2) years at these close ranges and am starting to believe its not "me" (its also embarrassing to admit and very disheartening when you get them that close to blow it).

Background: I patterned the gun upon initial purchase and choke installation and it seemed to shoot fine although I can honestly say I didn't shoot it at close range but started at 20 yards. I have killed 3 birds in the last (2) years at 20+ yards just to ensure that it does kill.

I have been thinking a couple thoughts and have come to the line that I think the constriction of the choke may be making the pattern very tight at close range and in conjunction with either the gun being slightly off or poor shoot placement is causing a miss.

It got to the point that I thought the shells (I have had the same 2 boxes the last couple years) didn't have any shot in them and were just powder and a wade. Granted they are "Nitros" but still a shot within 10 yards should be pretty much a given.

I was wondering if anyone else has had any exposure to something similar.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I put a jelly head choke in Travis's 870. Shooting 3 inch, max dram 1,300 fps, 2oz, #5 winchesters it would leave a ragged hole Slightly smaller than a Skoal can at 15 yards. He was having all sorts of issues with hitting a bird in the neck on paper at 15 yards, but at 25 yards he was good to go. 20 yards was a 50/50 shot. 10 yards he was going to miss low left.

I then went out and bought some Remington's. Same stats as above but 1250 FPS. He put them right on the money at 10 yards. Still a small ragged hole slightly smaller than a Skoal can but they were all kill shots.

I guess what I'm saying is try a different load and shoot one at 10 yards.

I put a jelly head choke in Travis's 870. Shooting 3 inch, max dram 1,300 fps, 2oz, #5 winchesters it would leave a ragged hole Slightly smaller than a Skoal can at 15 yards. He was having all sorts of issues with hitting a bird in the neck on paper at 15 yards, but at 25 yards he was good to go. 20 yards was a 50/50 shot. 10 yards he was going to miss low left.

I then went out and bought some Remington's. Same stats as above but 1250 FPS. He put them right on the money at 10 yards. Still a small ragged hole slightly smaller than a Skoal can but they were all kill shots.

I guess what I'm saying is try a different load and shoot one at 10 yards.

Thanks for the information glad that it seems that I was not going nuts in that it is pretty baffling to miss a turkey at point blank. Again I start patterns at 20 yards so the whole gun being off inside of that was kind of news to me. The day this all happened I ordered (2) boxes of Longbeard XRs one in #4 and one in #6 as well as (2) new Carlson's choke tubes one that was "designed" for the XR series.

I was shooting the Nitro series for the last couple years because they were dirt cheap and although I have had some success overall I would say I have had some poor luck with them. I have one or two left so when I go pattern the XRs on Sunday I will also shoot the last of the Nitros of just to confirm.