Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Good first 3 days.

Kaiser878

ohio
Monday I got on a bird after daylight that wanted to die.... he came cruising in to about 30 yards gobbling his head off.... he didn't last long.
uploadfromtaptalk1429717196871.jpg

Yesterday I called two gobbling and strutting Jakes in. Moved properties and had a long beard at 60 yards and his hens took him.

Last night I roosted a bird real close to my house... got in there quiet this morning and when it got daylight he was 75 yards from me.... he started pacing on his limb and I gave him 4 soft clucks. 10 seconds later he pitched down in front of me at about 30 yards.... his feet sisnt get a chance to get to wet. He might have been on the ground 10 seconds.... and I cleaned him out.

I got him taken care of and went along with my buddy.... we got to his spot and called. Two gobblers let loose. ... we had to move once bit finally found ourselves within 60 yards of em.... there were 3 Jakes and 2 gobblers. He smoked the heaviest bearded one.... it has been a great 3 days
uploadfromtaptalk1429717887537.jpg

Kaiser878

ohio
Awesome opening week for you. Has not been that way for me...I haven't been set up on a bird yet. Seeing your success is motivating for me!
My observation foe this year has been this..... the birds have not roosted in the same area two consecutive days.... heck they haven't even been roosting in the same area twice...

I have been going to every property the night before to roost birds. The two birds I shot were in areas where there hasn't been a bird roosted all year. I have been listening 2 weeks now off and on at properties... and these two places have not had a bird gobble on them until the day I killed the bird. I roosted todays bird rt at last light last night. Literally almost dark.... it was my last stop..... every place I had birds gobbling on the roost before season vanished and I don't know where they went.

Last edited:

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
My observation foe this year has been this..... the birds have not roosted in the same area two consecutive days.... heck they haven't even been roosting in the same area twice...

I have been going to every property the night before to roost birds. The two birds I shot were in areas where there hasn't been a bird roosted all year. I have been listening 2 weeks now off and on at properties... and these two places have not had a bird gobble on them until the day I killed the bird. I roosted todays bird rt at last light last night. Literally almost dark.... it was my last stop..... every place I had birds gobbling on the roost before season vanished and I don't know where they went.

I had been to our property at least 15 mornings prior to season. Only 3 times were Toms roosted on us. All previous years that number would have been reversed. I don't understand it but you have to take the good with the bad. Almost all my trail cam pics and videos are late morning to early evening. It's been a very strange spring. Again, congrats on an awesome 3 days. Are you providing guided hunts now?

Kaiser878

ohio
Haha if I had a lock on some more predictable birds I could take people out.... but they seem to be so sporadic its not hardly worth having someone come and gamble the birds will be thrre