Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New Trail Camera Company Coming.....

Found this today, it's a new trail camera company called Exodus Outdoor Gear. Woo hoo or whoopie ding you might say?? Well from what I have read about them they will offer a 5 year warranty on the camera AND a 5 year theft replacement (50% off the purchase of a new camera) guarantee. Just the fact alone of a warranty longer than a flipping year is what got my attention. The housing is an aluminum alloy with rubber coating. Price point I saw somewhere was around $225 ish I believe. Definitely going to watch to see what the trailcampro's say about them and some of the others.

http://www.exodusoutdoorgear.com/

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1561803930761311&fref=nf

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds interesting but the 1.o second trigger speed is a little slow according to other newer cams at about .2 second I believe. I'll watch it. After just going through a almost stolen cam the 5 yr. theft coverage looks interesting. But you can bet they have the regular price jacked up to cover the theft loses.

It says less than one second so depending on how they test that will be interesting to see. To hear the initial price point was around $225 it's likely set that way to recoup losses due to warranty and all. Listening to the guy talk about what the company is about it sure seems they are looking to make a product that will be built to last rather than be a throw away. Will see though, I've been gullible before LOL!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm more inclined it will be an overpriced hunk of shit. Sell $30 of materials for 7-8 times the price and you can give a few away and still make money. I could be wrong. If you are from Exodus and stumble on this, send me one and I'll tell you what I think. I might know a thing or two about cams... :smiley_coolpeace:

matt@exodustrailcams

Hey guys,

I'm Matt Kline, one of the founders of Exodus. Really appreciate the share! We've been working extremely hard to get everything ready for launch day and it's been really cool to see news spread so quickly. My partners Chad and Steve, and I decided to build this company because we had all gotten tired of the crap we were dealing with from other companies... and all coming from the construction industry, where if you don't take care of your customers, somebody else will... We knew there was a better way to go about things.

To stand up to our warranty, we've upgraded a large majority of the electronic components in the camera that we found were at risk of early failure. We've added aluminum bracing to the basic shell that most cameras get to give it more stability, and we've put a really high quality rubberized coating finish as the final assembly on the camera to make sure that there is no chance of water exposure. We've weighed the risk. We've had our cameras rigorously tested to make sure we can back it up... We wouldn't have come this far just hoping it all works out. We definitely don't have the profit margins that most camera companies have, and because of that we will likely never be able to sell in giant retailers without some special arrangements... But again, this is what we believe is right... So it's what we're doing.

I'd be happy to answer any of you guys's questions, we love the feedback.

Matt

PS, BH1023 - most people don't use "hunk of shit" and "send me one" in the same post, but I like your style! lol

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Do you have a pic of the final product?
What is the size of the cam?
Is there a locking system or do you need a security box?
How about the trigger time...do you have an exact time on it?
Does it take video?
Can you post pics taken from the cam?

I would be more than willing to test your product...I am kind of a trail cam junky and love to go for the "perfect pic".

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around and contribute some.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
HA! That took longer than I thought it might. Google is an amazing tool she is! Glad to see you have a good sense of humor. In all seriousness, if you want to sell cams, this is a good place to do it. Takes one to sell several. :smiley_coolpeace:

I like the concept behind the shell and think that is your best selling point from a tangible standpoint. Of the 7 different brands of cameras I have owned, the shells were flimsy on 5 and faded within the first year on all 7. While some guys could care less about aesthetics, I like my equipment to look good. I will say this, "stability" is not something that registers with 99.9% of the trail cam market. Are you talking about longevity, or something more in lines with the true meaning of the word?

Where I have concerns is the guts of the camera. Not to boast, but so you know where I am coming from, I formed and ran the Pro-Staff (now defunct) for Buckeye Cam in a past life. Those cams are built like tanks and function flawlessly. The folks behind those cameras are the best at the world at building the electronic portion of the cameras as they are industry leaders (separate business) in highly sensitive and elaborate traffic control/monitoring electronics. That expertise in engineering carried over in to their cams. The guts of a camera is what makes or breaks it IMO. Did you design the electronics? How have they been designed/engineered to provide better longevity and performance? Is the thought process that a better housing provides better protection, therefore the run of the mill electronics will last longer?

I appreciate you stopping in to introduce product. If you're willing to engage this group, you'll certainly get feedback. I have more questions myself, just don't want to bombard you right off the bat!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
To add to the power of Google, I see you fellers are from the Berkeley Springs, WV - Hancock, Maryland area. Nice to a company relatively close to our borders offering a product up to the market.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
if you can harness buckeyecam quality electronic you wont need any big box store and can tell them to piss off on their pricing...you will probably lose money selling t o them anyhow. My buckeye is 10 years old now and never missing a beat...

matt@exodustrailcams

Do you have a pic of the final product?
What is the size of the cam?
Is there a locking system or do you need a security box?
How about the trigger time...do you have an exact time on it?
Does it take video?
Can you post pics taken from the cam?

I would be more than willing to test your product...I am kind of a trail cam junky and love to go for the "perfect pic".

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around and contribute some.

Hey Spenc,

Let me try and answer your questions in order for you:

-We released a preview shot and final render of the final product the other day on Facebook slash exodusoutdoorgear, I will have actual pictures of the final production unit in about a week.

-The camera is 5.75" X 4.3" X 2.35"

-The camera has two sets of receivers for python cables. It also has a lock for the half door that will deter people from swiping the card.

-Our base unit has a trigger speed of .9 seconds, which is pretty average when comparing apples to apples... But we've developed a really good detection system around that speed. We get fewer blank photos with this camera than we have with cameras that have twice the detection speed. Our next level models launching in January will have roughly .5 second trigger speeds.

-We built our debut camera with a focus on taking really stellar photos, but it also takes 720P video with fully customizable lengths.

-There are pics on the Facebook page that I mentioned earlier. I don't have access to my photos on this laptop, but will be at one where I do tomorrow.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you! I plan to stick around, our headquarters are actually in Warren, Ohio where my partners are at so this is definitely a good site for us!

matt@exodustrailcams

HA! That took longer than I thought it might. Google is an amazing tool she is! Glad to see you have a good sense of humor. In all seriousness, if you want to sell cams, this is a good place to do it. Takes one to sell several. :smiley_coolpeace:

I like the concept behind the shell and think that is your best selling point from a tangible standpoint. Of the 7 different brands of cameras I have owned, the shells were flimsy on 5 and faded within the first year on all 7. While some guys could care less about aesthetics, I like my equipment to look good. I will say this, "stability" is not something that registers with 99.9% of the trail cam market. Are you talking about longevity, or something more in lines with the true meaning of the word?

Where I have concerns is the guts of the camera. Not to boast, but so you know where I am coming from, I formed and ran the Pro-Staff (now defunct) for Buckeye Cam in a past life. Those cams are built like tanks and function flawlessly. The folks behind those cameras are the best at the world at building the electronic portion of the cameras as they are industry leaders (separate business) in highly sensitive and elaborate traffic control/monitoring electronics. That expertise in engineering carried over in to their cams. The guts of a camera is what makes or breaks it IMO. Did you design the electronics? How have they been designed/engineered to provide better longevity and performance? Is the thought process that a better housing provides better protection, therefore the run of the mill electronics will last longer?

I appreciate you stopping in to introduce product. If you're willing to engage this group, you'll certainly get feedback. I have more questions myself, just don't want to bombard you right off the bat!

Haha Thanks BH, we appreciate all of the feedback, both good and skeptica! We can definitely talk after launch day about doing some testing, I'd be interested to talk to you more about the rise and fall of Buckeye. I drive past their headquarters all the time on my way down to hunt and I've always found it interesting.

As for us, we wanted to build a case that had more stability in the most basic sense of the word, which would in turn allow stability in the longterm form of reliability. We wanted to put our camera in something that wouldn't allow components to rattle as it gets bumped around in a pack or on an ATV. That's where we came up with the bracing idea, our higher level cameras will have more advanced metal reinforcement. We'd like to release a full metal shell camera in the future. You're right, the electronic components are what will make or break it. They have to be kept dry first and foremost, so that's why we decided to finish the camera with a thick rubber coating. On top of that, we put high quality components in all the areas that we found were susceptible to failing pre-maturely in our testing.

We've really tried to build a more durable camera all around, which has allowed us to feel confident enough to back it up with all of our policies.

I am from Hancock, Maryland, but our headquarters are actually in Warren, Ohio where my partners reside!

matt@exodustrailcams

if you can harness buckeyecam quality electronic you wont need any big box store and can tell them to piss off on their pricing...you will probably lose money selling t o them anyhow. My buckeye is 10 years old now and never missing a beat...

Thanks Milo, we're not familiar with what buckeye had going on, but we've certainly held the bar high for building our cameras. We really believe that folks will see the difference once they start using them.

matt@exodustrailcams

So is this an otterbox for a trail camera? Cool to hear it is an Ohio business.

Hey Huck, I guess you could say that in a sense... But we're actually making the camera also and backing it up with all the warranties and customer service.

Our whole mission is to build a better trail camera and do it with an exhausting level of customer service! haha

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Hey Spenc,

Let me try and answer your questions in order for you:

-We released a preview shot and final render of the final product the other day on Facebook slash exodusoutdoorgear, I will have actual pictures of the final production unit in about a week.

-The camera is 5.75" X 4.3" X 2.35"

-The camera has two sets of receivers for python cables. It also has a lock for the half door that will deter people from swiping the card.

-Our base unit has a trigger speed of .9 seconds, which is pretty average when comparing apples to apples... But we've developed a really good detection system around that speed. We get fewer blank photos with this camera than we have with cameras that have twice the detection speed. Our next level models launching in January will have roughly .5 second trigger speeds.

-We built our debut camera with a focus on taking really stellar photos, but it also takes 720P video with fully customizable lengths.

-There are pics on the Facebook page that I mentioned earlier. I don't have access to my photos on this laptop, but will be at one where I do tomorrow.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you! I plan to stick around, our headquarters are actually in Warren, Ohio where my partners are at so this is definitely a good site for us!

Thanks for the info. I saw the facebook page. Does the video have sound?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good question Spencie!

I'll definitely be reading along as this thread grows and hope your cameras are as good as advertised! What prices are we talking in your different lines? Camo patterns for more concealment?

matt@exodustrailcams

Hey guys! Sorry for the delay in posting again.

Finely: We won't have final pricing until we get all the development done, but our target is to have a camera at $225, $250, $299, and a cellular camera at $375-$399. Here is a pic of the final rendering of the Lift our base model, it is going into production in about 2 weeks.

We will also be releasing a black/greyish color scheme for security applications.

Spencie: Yes sir, video does have sound. I'll post some sample videos in the coming days for you guys.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
When I was with BEC in 2010 I asked about adding sound to video and essentially got laughed at. Their response was their was no demand and people could care less to have it. I don't look so dumb now...

matt@exodustrailcams

When I was with BEC in 2010 I asked about adding sound to video and essentially got laughed at. Their response was their was no demand and people could care less to have it. I don't look so dumb now...

haha It's funny how things change in such a small amount of time. You get one video of a buck chasing a doe and hear a trailing grunt and you'll never go without sound again!