Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

It's dangerous in the patch...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Last Wednesday we had someone pull a shotgun on one of our consultants warning that if we came back "there would be issues". I volunteered to go talk to the guy with one of our local workers under the thought process that if he intended to shoot someone, he would have done it. I also know the family from past dealings and figure that was my in to at least have a conversation with them. Before I headed that way on Friday I ran in to a local that had some inside knowledge that where I was headed, was rumored to be a meth lab. Knowing that, I decided not to go. My dad has had a gun pulled on him twice in the oil field and both times, people were just protecting "crops". I figured this was the case as meth lab never registered to me. Nor did eco-terrorist until today...

I received a call from dad this morning telling my one of their guys got shot on the job yesterday. My last day with their company was with Mark in Lincoln County where this shooting happened. Really hit home with me as Mark is a good guy and a friend. Word around the patch is this was an act of eco-terrorism. Crazy stuff...

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/...Hand-Following-Call-About-Leak-299624271.html

Holy shit that is unreal Jesse! Sounds like you guys can't be too careful and wouldn't be a bad idea to get your CPL and start carrying. It's a changing world out there and you hear all the time how these meth labs are popping up everywhere like that, motels, abandoned homes and barns, etc..

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Crazy stuff and good it's only a injured hand.
The crazy neighbor's son across the road shot a 22LR over the heads of the pipeline surveyers to make them stop. The pipeline gave him 1000.00 cash to stop harrassing them since they had a signed contract from his dad the owner. Thank goodness they are both gone now.

Last edited:

teej89

NE PA
dang that's wild... It may sound extremely ignorant and I apologize but I haven't even heard of an eco-terrorist attack until now. That's sad even with all this going around that companies won't let it's employees in the field carry.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Eco-terrorism is just a new word for tree hugging hippie. Same type of people have chained themselves to trees to prevent timbering in the past. Real whack jobs...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Glad your buddy got away with just the hand injury. Could have ended up a lot worse since it was pointed at his head. Down in the hills and hollers are many hiding spots and would take people many days to find a body.

People like to hide all kinds of stuff. Stills, meth labs, plants, and I'm sure many other things lol. I wouldn't do your job in the places you find yourself without the ability to carry CCW.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
There are definitely some real nut jobs out there these days! Glad it wasn't fatal! Be careful out there!

Road rage incidents are a very common occurrence these days today.