Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First mow of the year

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Whelp, hated to start this soon but the grass growing over my leach lines was dark green and about a foot high in places. Been holding off till last night so the yard would dry out some. It was still pretty wet but with more rain in the forcast today and the next few more days I had no other option.

Oh, the smell of wild onion once again! LMAO

I hate breaking the seal cuz it just means I'll be doing it again real soon:smiley_depressive:

Jamie

Ohio
I was tempted to mow yesterday, but went squirrel/shroom/shed hunting instead so the yard could "dry out one more day." :smiley_bril: gotta mow today with more rain coming. pisser.

getting mower going is usually no big deal, but I had to do it two weeks ago because the battery was toast, mower in the way of log splitter that I needed to get out of the garage to clean up another mess in the yard. bought a new battery (which was very painful), mower running like a champ. still, I'll have to remove the deck and sharpen blades in a month or so.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I getting close to the 1st mow also. Just too wet now but maybe OK on Wednesday and more rain on Thursday.
I still say the guy who started this grass planting idea should be strung up.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
battery tender

Those two beautiful words are a must, IMO! I've got two, one for the quad and the other for the mower! Wish I'd have bought them much earlier in life, would have saved me some green and headaches! It'll be the best $35 you'll ever spend!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Fired mine up Saturday and mowed after we got done cutting up the 24" triple trunked maple that once dominated our front yard. I seeded some dead areas a couple weeks back. I have a feeling I'll have to mow even more often this year without the shade from the maple. Yard looks lush already!

Jamie

Ohio
battery tender

Those two beautiful words are a must, IMO! I've got two, one for the quad and the other for the mower! Wish I'd have bought them much earlier in life, would have saved me some green and headaches! It'll be the best $35 you'll ever spend!

I have a charger that provides a trickle charge for long term storage. batteries just wear out eventually, and this one just came to the end of its life. does batter tender do something besides trickle charge?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Not entirely sure Jamie! The guys at CCMS YAMAHA dealer off 68/I-71 said I'd be glad to have had them on my quad and mower over the winter and they both fired up like new. It's prolly nothing more than a trickle charger though.lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Or a sales pitch! LOL. My mower is 5 years old and didn't hesitate to fire up after a long winter. My quad was 8 years old and never needed a charge. They are handy to have no doubt, but I've had great luck without one too.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
My mower fired right up yesterday, to my surprise. I backed it up to the air compressor and aired up all the tires. When I jumped back on and hit the key, nothing. Didn't have time to fugg with it but Im guessing the fuse in the ignition blew

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Saw a lawn service company mowing 3 weeks ago in NE OH. must be money hungry. the sick neighbors on my street can't wait to mow every other day. "Let the dandelions grow"

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Tis the season. Got mine rolled, spiked, fertilized, and seeded some dead spots last week. Got the first mow in Saturday morning.

Drake- Straight fertilizer? Or fertilizer with crabgrass preventer?

I don't like giving out tips for free, but. . . . (I am kidding.) If any of you are considering doing some re-seeding, do NOT put down the crabgrass preventer/fertilizer at the same time. It will also prevent new seed from germinating. If you want to fertilize, run straight fertilizer or you have just wasted your money on seed. IF you already applied the crabgrass preventer, you will need to wait 30-45 days before seeding (depending upon amount of rain and number of rains.)

Francis

Geauga
One nice thing about the snow belt is that the grass isn't ready yet after this winter. Its so wet now, I don't know if I even could

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Drake- Straight fertilizer? Or fertilizer with crabgrass preventer?

I don't like giving out tips for free, but. . . . (I am kidding.) If any of you are considering doing some re-seeding, do NOT put down the crabgrass preventer/fertilizer at the same time. It will also prevent new seed from germinating. If you want to fertilize, run straight fertilizer or you have just wasted your money on seed. IF you already applied the crabgrass preventer, you will need to wait 30-45 days before seeding (depending upon amount of rain and number of rains.)

Good points Phil. Straight fertilizer here. I usually spray my yard for weeds/crabgrass a little later in the Spring, then do a granular weed and feed in the Fall. Sometimes I apply a little more straight fertilizer a month or so after my spray depending on conditions. Thanks for the advice!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good points Phil. Straight fertilizer here. I usually spray my yard for weeds/crabgrass a little later in the Spring, then do a granular weed and feed in the Fall. Sometimes I apply a little more straight fertilizer a month or so after my spray depending on conditions. Thanks for the advice!

Good deal. Just was hoping you didn't waste your money.