Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Reloading fun day

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have to switch the production Dillon 1050 press over to 45 Colt tomorrow. So today I took the opportunity to load a 500 batch of 44 mag. lead bullet 240 gr. hunting rounds. It only took 1 hour. I've taken 24 deer with lead bullets and recovered 23. The neighbor wouldn't grant permission to track on his property. He recovered the buck and eat it so all was well.
I'll run 45 Colt production then take a hour and run off a batch of 500 lead bullets rounds for myself.
I'll be doing all my calibers storage ammo cans with batches of 500 rounds. Then I put a box of 50 of each caliber in the house on the shelf.
I guess you can take as not to mess with Frank.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I did some experimenting with 357 mag loads in the last 2 days. New powder, mag primers vs standard primers. Load some of each type then set up the chronograph to check the speed. It took several hours and was a fun time. My original thought on today's magnum primers and standard primers held up exactly as to what I always said. With today's high standard of primer production there is no difference in the 2 primer types. This was not true 15-25 yrs ago. With the quality of primers today there is no need for magnum primers even with hard burning powders like Win 296 and H 110.
20-25 yrs ago magnum primers was necessary to make some powders like Win 296 & H 110 to burn correctly. But even at that time my friend Dale and fellow experimenter proved regular Federal primers was just as good or better than magnum primers. So we always used Federal standard primers in magnum loads with Win 296 or H 110.
I even experimented with a commercial primer from Chec Republic against Winchester standard primers in a full hunting load in the 44 mag at 1400 FPS with a 240 gr lead bullet, with Win 296 powder and the results showed there was no difference in FPS. I was surprised at the quality and results.
Just a fun time experimenting and getting paid to.

Last edited:

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Went to the Maumee gunshow today and Vance had a table set up. Was almost afraid to ask tony how his dad was doing since i have not seen them in a LONG time. He said he was doing fine. Bought a box of 230 grain for the 45 for old times sake.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I did some experimenting with 357 mag loads in the last 2 days. New powder, mag primers vs standard primers. Load some of each type then set up the chronograph to check the speed. It took several hours and was a fun time. My original thought on today's magnum primers and standard primers held up exactly as to what I always said. With today's high standard of primer production there is no difference in the 2 primer types. This was not true 15-25 yrs ago. With the quality of primers today there is no need for magnum primers even with hard burning powders like Win 296 and H 110.
20-25 yrs ago magnum primers was necessary to make some powders like Win 296 & H 110 to burn correctly. But even at that time my friend Dale and fellow experimenter proved regular Federal primers was just as good or better than magnum primers. So we always used Federal standard primers in magnum loads with Win 296 or H 110.
I even experimented with a commercial primer from Chec Republic against Winchester standard primers in a full hunting load in the 44 mag at 1400 FPS with a 240 gr lead bullet, with Win 296 powder and the results showed there was no difference in FPS. I was surprised at the quality and results.
Just a fun time experimenting and getting paid to.

Cool stuff. Sounds like a good time and a bonus that you get paid for it.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I went up this afternoon to put the finishing touches on the Dillon 1050 press switch over to 300 BO. Just when I got finished and sat down to finish my lunch at 4:00 the power went out. I sat down in my comfty office chair to relax and the next thing I knew is I woke up it's 7:00. Nice 3 hour nap that I needed as the wife got up at 4:30AM to work the election poles and I got up with her. My man cave is going to work out just fine in the coming years. It's even going to be nicer when I move in my couch and easy chairs, then my office desk, 45 yrs of deer racks, 100's of hunting and gun books.
I'm going to be a busy guy for a long time. I have 100's of unread gun and Africa hunting books. I'm going to move the books up and make 3 piles. Keepers, Goodwill and for sale on Ebay. I have enough cash from the book sales to buy the wife a newer car. Now that will piss her off as she likes her Ford Taurus stationwagon.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm working on a large contract for the ammo company and I damn near melted yesterday in my man cave. I went last week to buy a small 6000 BTU window air conditioner but they was out of stock.
Today my son called and said he wasn't going to use the new 6000 BTU he bought last week and wondered if I wanted to use it. Dah now that's silly question. So he sent my grandson over to help install it.
Damn it nice in my man cave now and I won't mind working there as much. Real nice of my son but I sorta think he just wants me to work more. As I don't do well in the heat with my MS. Now I'm waiting for the bill invoice.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Damn it nice in my man cave now and I won't mind working there as much. Real nice of my son but I sorta think he just wants me to work more. As I don't do well in the heat with my MS. Now I'm waiting for the bill invoice.[/QUOTE]

rotflmao

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I took a break today from my R&D work. I re-sprayed my food plot, changed 3 camera cards, put up another camera, put fresh mineral salt on 2 salt lick sites, hauled my turkey decoys out of my tower. Then I looked inside my tower so I can insulate the walls and roof. Then I plan on covering everything inside with black driveway woven cloth.
Tomorrow I plan to bush hog some bike trails for my grandson and then bush hog my 2014 oats plot. At least the weather is decent out this weekend.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Latest project to trim 223 cases. Have 2 machines setup side by side and working on getting the 3rd machine up and working. Each machine will cycle 1200 times per hour. But with a few jams hopefully each will produce 1000. One operator can keep both machines running and their adjusted so well I don't see a problem with the 3rd machine.
Burned up 2 Dillon power case trimmers so switched to a adapter kit to use Bosch 2.25 HP router with 1.2" carbide end mills.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwFvWmNXi8U
titan weapons trimmer adapter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K-pFVO3w3k

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I set the Lee 4 hole turret press but for 44 mag testing new powder. Looks like I got it right on the 2nd load then it started a light rain. More testing tomorrow.
Fun couple hours and get paid to.

Wmiller07

So is this what you do for a living? I just got into reloading a couple years ago and I've really been enjoying it.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
So is this what you do for a living? I just got into reloading a couple years ago and I've really been enjoying it.

I'm retired and do R&D work for a local ammo re-manufacture. I do all the load development and other special loading for them like 300 BO.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got a new R&D project today. The guy who gave me a free laptop computer has a Glock silenced 9MM that will not function anything with the silencer on. Gave me 164 gr bullets to develop a 9MM sub sonic heavy load. I went on line searching for heavy weight loading for the 9MM. I'll be darn if there wasn't a silencer site that had several loading for 164 gr 9MM rounds.
Now just setup the Lee 4 hole turret press and work on it.
Never developed any sub sonic pistol rounds just done 300 BO rifle in the past. This is going to be interesting.
25-30 yrs ago the NRA wrote a article on 158 gr 9MM round and he said those wouldn't function either. Hmm. I'm sure I have some 158 gr cast bullets so I'll try those too.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I know nothing of his improvements. He wants the Glock to function as is. He has one of everything and just wants this one to work. It'll be fun trying.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Due to how the barrel and slide move during the cycling of the action on a Glock, the added weight of a suppressor may be causing the problems. That is why the piston i mentioned earlier is sometimes required to make types of pistols such as Glocks, m&ps etc run with them.

It is similar to the very well known issue with 40cal Glocks And tactical lights.

You adjust the weight and balance of the barrel and or slide and it messes with the timing.

Good luck with the project.